Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am putting a small lift on my xj but i cannot get the stock springs out ..my question is do i have to drop the lower control arms to do so??
the lower arms are hitting on the mounts on the axle...
now my question is do i have to trim the mount on the axle and or drop the lower arms out???
i know this lift will fit with stock arms because it came from one with stock arms but no idea how to get them to work...
also with 3 inches of lift do i need to buy a adjustable track bar ???

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
spring compressor?

you will need to decide if you need an adj. track bar, as every XJ, and I mean EVERY XJ is different.

·
Web Wheeling!
1,390 Posts
Yeah disconnect the lower control arms (if it's jacked up enough), when I did my lift, I just unbolted the lower arms. And yeah I'd get a adjustable track bar. My Rusty's track bar is pretty nice. But stay away from track bar extension brackets, they don't really put the track bar at the right angle and put too much stress on the unibody. I've heard of stress cracks because of this.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
X2 on the spring compressor, 'strut spring compressors' to be exact- you can rent them from autozone, murrays. and the adjustable trac bar wouldnt hurt

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
A ratchet strap without hooks... like for loading bikes on trailers works much better... less scary if you ask me.

Did you disconnect the upper arms? thats all you have to do and you'll have plenty of room to get the spring in.

As for the track bar the rusty's is nice for the money. You can always just relocate the lower hole about 1/2 inch to an inch over. Thats what Rubicon express tells you to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts