Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the new owner of a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport (4x4, 4.0 liter, and 4 doors) and I would like to install a lift kit and some new tires.

For the lift kit, I was thinking about a 4 in. Fabtech "Performance System with Performance Shocks." A picture and more info can be found here.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT52716.aspx

For the tires, I was thinking about a tire that I'm sure most, if not all, of the people on this site know about, BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO. A picture and more info can be found here. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO

I was wondering if anyone would like to speak their mind about if this is a good idea or not. I am open to suggestions, as well.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
i personally can't stand the BFG all-terrains. i've seen to people buy a set brand new only to trade up to different tires after the first weeling trip. i've also borrowed a set and couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
In all honesty I would go with another lift. Something from say Rubicon Express. http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=219 that's my personal opinion. What is fact though is to make sure whatever brand you go with to get full leaf packs for the rear and not just the AAL's. The AAL's will sag much quicker and give you a less than desirable ride as compared to the full packs.

Tires are what I run and many others do too as you know. The only thing I don't like about them is they are not very good in the snow and let go easily in plain old wet conditions. Other than that they are pretty quiet on the road and have great tread life.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I agree with mpwal about the lift. Fabtech is ok, but they are not very specialized when it comes to Jeep suspensions. BFG ATs are a pretty good all around tire, but if you plan on wheeling much they leave a lot to be desired off road. On the road, they are quiet, last a long time, and I found they were good in all conditions (especially in the snow).

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
I agree, go with Rubicon Express, I had the 3.5" on a 98 cherokee with 31 all terrains.

A few years back I despised all terrains, I lived in the UP, I never drove more then 35-45 mph in town and the highways were all 55mph, so swampers and other tires were tolerable. Furthermore I did not have to go on long trips or commutes on a daily basis. I also lived with in about 3-4 miles of a ton of trails so I wheeled all the time.

I've since changed my opinion to say that if you daily drive your rig, spend some time on the highway and wheel occasionally the all terrains are decent tires, They are not the best in the real deep mud, but for most michigan wheeling they aren't too bad. I had them on two rigs in the UP and two rigs down state, Downstate I wheeled rarely, in the UP I still wheeled them fairly often. Their size limited me more often then the tread pattern. On road in wet, dry, snow, ice, etc they proved to be a great tire. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with them...they are pricey however.

Another tire to consider is the Truxus MT, I have the 34x12.5's on my wrangler and could not beleive how well they balanced and how smooth they are on the highway and such, a very nice tire. Quiet also.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Another tire to consider is the Truxus MT, I have the 34x12.5's on my wrangler and could not beleive how well they balanced and how smooth they are on the highway and such, a very nice tire. Quiet also.
x2 on the Trxus. They don't last nearly as long as the BFGs but they are an awesome tire for a combination of street/trail

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
x2 on the Trxus. They don't last nearly as long as the BFGs but they are an awesome tire for a combination of street/trail
Mine have minimal miles )5,000 or less)

so I can't see much wear yet....but being a swamper, they probably will not last much more then 20,000?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Mine have minimal miles )5,000 or less)

so I can't see much wear yet....but being a swamper, they probably will not last much more then 20,000?
I have 10k on mine and I would say they are at probably 60-70% tread left. I rotate the crap out of mine though (every 3k) and watch the pressure pretty closely. I will be happy if I get 35k out of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since you guys don't seem to like the BFG All-Terrains, I started looking at other tires now, and I found two that seem like good choices to me.... the Firestone Destination M/T, and the BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM. Would anyone recommend or NOT recommend either of these tires?

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
One person didn't like the all terrains.....

I had mud terrains, they were worse on the street then some of my swampers.

I don't know anything about the firestones.

·
AKA GreyShrink
521 Posts
I had BFG Mud Terrains 35x12.50-16.5R on my 1-ton Dodge truck. I changed then when they had 40,000 miles on them. They were probably good for another 10,000 miles of street use, but I wanted new ones for off-road.

I had 33x12.50-15R BFG MT tires on my CJ7. I changed them at 20,000 miles to go bigger and sold the 33's to a friend. He's had them on his Jeep for 5 years and they're still going strong. I then put 35x12.50-15 BFG MT tires on the CJ7. Been there well over 5 years and going trong. I like them on the street, the dirt, sand, and snow.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The BFG MTs will last you the longest of pretty much any Mud Terrain out there. The Firestones are a pretty good tire too, I know a couple of people running them and they are happy with them (Blaine runs them on his WJ, maybe he'll chime in some time)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was happy with the BFG MTs on my XJ and the older TJ, I dont know if there is a huge diffeernce between other MTs like mentioned.

Have you considered other items you might need to do after lifting? You will more than likely get drive line vibrations with 4" on a 2000 XJ. A tcase drop or SYE ?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I was happy with the BFG MTs on my XJ and the older TJ, I dont know if there is a huge diffeernce between other MTs like mentioned.

Have you considered other items you might need to do after lifting? You will more than likely get drive line vibrations with 4" on a 2000 XJ. A tcase drop or SYE ?
Yeah I'm surprised your the first person that pointed that out. You will need one or the other at that height. I would spring for the SYE if you can afford it, but a tcase drop will suffice if it's all you can afford.

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
if your gonna be street driving more than offroading u will be glad u bought the BFG A/T's because they last alot longer than a mud terrain. Im happy with mine for street and offroading they are good.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would probably buy the BFG All Terrains, but would consider the Mud Terrains and get them siped so they'd be better on pavement, rain, and snow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts