Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Diesel Liberty with the 5 option selc-trac transfer case. I have been using the Full Time 4wheel drive option for about two months straight. Now, when I try to go back to 2wheel drive (which requires the shift lever to pass over Part Time 4wheel drive), the transfer case seems to get stuck in Part Time 4wheel drive. It takes ages of back and forth in a parking lot to get it to break out.

History:
Front tires have 64000 miles
Rear tires have 20000 miles
Transfer case fluid is about 20000 miles old (person insisted it had all the aditives needed for my vehicle)

I took it to Palace, they said I either don't have the friction modifier in the fluid, ($250 to replace) or my front tires are putting too much tension on the inter-axle connection therefore preventing it from disconnecting. (They want to replace all four tires for $550.00)

I think there is something wrong with the linkage.

Which sounds more likely?

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
Have you tried letting it roll in neutral and shifting?

Any other changes in the last two months to the tires or fluid?

Not having friction modifiers would cause slipping issues or noise. I don't think it would get serious enough to actually prevent it from shifting. Their theory on the tires is complete bullshit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better History of rig:

The axle and transfer case fluid was changed for first time in October 07 at 38000 miles. That means Full time 4x4 was used all last winter with that fluid.

In February (45000 miles) after pulling friend out of snow, noticed a shudder for a week and Palace replaced rear drive shaft.

I had the rig in 2wd all summer.

I did pull a 2500 pound pop-up once over the summer to Clair. I used Full Time 4wheel drive to help with traction. The trailer was a little heavy for the rig even though the engine and trans didn't seem to strain.

In May, I had a single tire blowout, so I replaced with new tire in rear and new spare tire to even it out. That is why the front tires are older. Same style though.

It wasn't until this November that I noticed a problem.

At this point, it seems to shift in and out when I am on ice or snow. If I am on dry blacktop, I have to coast forward and backward in neutral a few times while turning the wheel. I have to move the transfercase around a bunch and then it seems to eventually make it.

That's about it. Once it is in 4wheel, there are no noises, no shudders, nothing like that. I thought that perhaps the linkage was messed up and it just wasn't allowing me to get past the center possition which is part time 4wheel drive.

If it isn't linkage, it seems that the interaxle differential is messed up. I have 6000 miles of waranty left! I want it fixed.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
Better History of rig:

The axle and transfer case fluid was changed for first time in October 07 at 38000 miles. That means Full time 4x4 was used all last winter with that fluid.

In February (45000 miles) after pulling friend out of snow, noticed a shudder for a week and Palace replaced rear drive shaft.

I had the rig in 2wd all summer.

I did pull a 2500 pound pop-up once over the summer to Clair. I used Full Time 4wheel drive to help with traction. The trailer was a little heavy for the rig even though the engine and trans didn't seem to strain.

In May, I had a single tire blowout, so I replaced with new tire in rear and new spare tire to even it out. That is why the front tires are older. Same style though.

It wasn't until this November that I noticed a problem.

At this point, it seems to shift in and out when I am on ice or snow. If I am on dry blacktop, I have to coast forward and backward in neutral a few times while turning the wheel. I have to move the transfercase around a bunch and then it seems to eventually make it.

That's about it. Once it is in 4wheel, there are no noises, no shudders, nothing like that. I thought that perhaps the linkage was messed up and it just wasn't allowing me to get past the center possition which is part time 4wheel drive.

If it isn't linkage, it seems that the interaxle differential is messed up. I have 6000 miles of waranty left! I want it fixed.
You have something internal to the T-case or linkage going on. The dealership is full of shit saying it's your tires or fluid.

I'd take it somewhere else and get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am wondering what the linkage even looks like in the Liby transfer case. It is a handle as opposed to a push button or switch.

Has anyone had the same problem with their transfer cases?

Has anyone had problems with their inter-axle differential in a liby?

Is that transfer case used in other jeeps? I don't even know if the commander/patriot/cherokee/etc have a solid fropnt axle these days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
liby selec-trac trouble

There still must be someone who has seen the inside of a liby selec trac transfercase.

Has linkage ever gone bad?
Has interaxle-dif ever gone bad?

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Is that transfer case used in other jeeps?
Is the Liberty Selec-trac still the same 242 used in XJ's? Tell us what the round silver and red tag says on the back of your transfer case.

·
Desert Rat
7,092 Posts
If it was me I would change the transfer case fluid again. do it yourself, and use a quality synthetic. I don't think any friction modifiers go in the T/C.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
If it was me I would change the transfer case fluid again. do it yourself, and use a quality synthetic. I don't think any friction modifiers go in the T/C.
That's where I was going with it. 242's don't have clutches.

Montana, check out the links in this thread after you see what the tag says on the back of your case:

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=112409

·
Desert Rat
7,092 Posts
I really like the 242 for a daily-driver/weekend-wheeler, but I believe the key to longevity is fluid changes.
It uses transmission fluid (i.e. 10w) and it does not have far to go before the fluid become ineffective.
On that note I think I'll change mine this weekend and I will use TCI as a replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts