Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you have? how do ya like it? Pros and cons?
I’m looking at a hypertherm 45xp or the Miller 625 extreme. I have little to no plasma experience
As I only rented a POS one from the local industrial rental place 15yeArs ago and was not impressed. But I have have a few big fab projects coming up and I’m sick of torch cutting and grinding damn near everything
I’m leaning more towards the hypertherm because it’s max severance is larger than the miller. I am keeping my options only to units with the cpc port for Cnc plasma table options should I add on later.
Please discuss!
Thanks
Matt

· Registered
5,575 Posts
I have always had Hypertherms and they are absolutely the industry standard. The 45xp is a very impressive little machine. If you're thinking of a CNC setup down the road you definitely want a Hypertherm.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it’s a no brainer! Thanks for the insight. Just an FYI for anyone shopping, after getting quotes from a few local weld
suppliers, the hyper max ends up being a few hundred less by the time you order the miller setup for cnc with the cpc port.

· Whoop Whoop
17,320 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm always happy for a good ol baptist thread revival.

I've been running a Hero Cut from amazon that I picked up with spare components for under $200. Still on the same set of consumables (probably under an hour of use over the past year). Had to swap on a different plug to use my 220V in the shop. Been running it off of the cheap 20gal HF compressor with no complaints. Been meaning to put a longer, heavier duty cord on it, but the cord length hasn't become an issue yet, and I've checked how much it was heating up after harder use and it was still room temp.

You get what you pay for, and I'm sure I'd love a hypertherm. I don't use it enough to justify the more expensive one, and have been nothing but impressed with that cheap of a unit.

· Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,660 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm always happy for a good ol baptist thread revival.

I've been running a Hero Cut from amazon that I picked up with spare components for under $200. Still on the same set of consumables (probably under an hour of use over the past year). Had to swap on a different plug to use my 220V in the shop. Been running it off of the cheap 20gal HF compressor with no complaints. Been meaning to put a longer, heavier duty cord on it, but the cord length hasn't become an issue yet, and I've checked how much it was heating up after harder use and it was still room temp.

You get what you pay for, and I'm sure I'd love a hypertherm. I don't use it enough to justify the more expensive one, and have been nothing but impressed with that cheap of a unit.
I'm also using an Amazon plasma cutter, works great for what I need and it uses harbor freight consumables.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,146 Posts
I don't think you get what you pay for at all lol.

I've had a Toosense Ebay 240 dollar pilot arc plasma cutter for 5 years that still works great and I abuse it every weekend.

I have on my plasma table a 700.00 Primeweld Cut 60 that has cut up to 7/8 steel for me without a complaint, never a hiccup, and I've used it to generate an easy 40k of income in the past year.

The only thing buying a Hypertherm would get me is some dick measuring BS where I could be like, "well you get what you pay for when you buy once and cry once derp derpp"

If I only bought brand name equipment, and never made anything myself, most of my tools and all of my shop would be completely out of reach. I'd have no shop, I'd be at home collecting stamps or watching football or doing some other useless hobby.

· Cup holders & Rollbars
635 Posts
I will agree the Hypertherm would be the best. But I only need one 3-4 times a year so I went with the Harbor Freight model. Been happy so far. If I had a table or depended on this for a living I would go a different route.

Machine Gadget Communication Device Font Rolling

· Whoop Whoop
17,320 Posts
I don't think you get what you pay for at all lol.

I've had a Toosense Ebay 240 dollar pilot arc plasma cutter for 5 years that still works great and I abuse it every weekend.

I have on my plasma table a 700.00 Primeweld Cut 60 that has cut up to 7/8 steel for me without a complaint, never a hiccup, and I've used it to generate an easy 40k of income in the past year.

The only thing buying a Hypertherm would get me is some dick measuring BS where I could be like, "well you get what you pay for when you buy once and cry once derp derpp"

If I only bought brand name equipment, and never made anything myself, most of my tools and all of my shop would be completely out of reach. I'd have no shop, I'd be at home collecting stamps or watching football or doing some other useless hobby.
Maybe if you spent less gas money driving around to every junkyard looking for parts for your Youtube channel :ROFLMAO:

· In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,368 Posts
I bought a hypertherm 35xp 6-7 years ago and used it a good amount. Thing can sever 7/8" if I remember correctly. Expensive, yes...but I'll have it forever and don't fear consumables will be hard to buy in the future.

I use a Hypertherm 45xp on my cnc and have used the same consumables for thousands of cuts. That alone has saved me hundreds over the course of 4 years. I can also run it all day non stop with the 100% duty cycle.

Buy what you are comfortable with. A cheap plasma cutter is better then not having one at all. If the smoke comes out, generally its probably something you can fix yourself on the board such as a MOSFET (happened with my brothers cheap plasma).

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol well that all turned quick. I was just about to dig this thread out of the archives and give an update (thanks for doing that for me lousy pirate!)
My hypertherm has been holding up great an I have no complaints on it. I think it’s great to hear comparisons amongst brands/users etc. Keep’em coming!

I got a good deal on a 4x4 Plasma Cam cnc table this summer and now that I’m finished with my garage addition I just pulled it out today an am starting to play with the software.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol, not trying to pretend I’m a Ron Jermey or anything here but it came with a Miller spectrum 625 on it…..
after I play with it for a while I may swap
My hypertherm on to it. Then I’ll have another machine to add to the comparisons

1 - 20 of 21 Posts