Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Geek Freak
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I was wondering what the "legal" number of lights other than your main 2 headlights was. I tried crawling around the Michigan.gov site to no avail. I thought it was 4, but i'm unsure. Lemme know? THANKS!

·
AKA Patrick just because
445 Posts
you are only alowed 4 foward facing white lites on at one time on road and can not be higher the 54" of the road any thing higer can only be used off road

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
you are only alowed 4 foward facing white lites on at one time on road and can not be higher the 54" of the road any thing higer can only be used off road

While this jives with what I recall from my younger days and researching this, it is interesting to note, that several years worth of GM trucks violated this stock from the factory.

e.g. low beams, white day time running lights, and foglights. I do not recall the year/model in particular, but did recall seeing enough like this, that I'm pretty sure it was stock, and not a "mod" to the wiring/switches performed by some.

·
Geek Freak
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, so I can put any amount of lights on that I want, I'm just limited to 4 on at a time, yes? (minus Daylighters and such I assume)

Thanks for the help guys! Now...time to find me a lightbar! :naughty:

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Cool, so I can put any amount of lights on that I want, I'm just limited to 4 on at a time, yes? (minus Daylighters and such I assume)

Thanks for the help guys! Now...time to find me a lightbar! :naughty:
I used to know a volunteer firefighter that had a VW GTi that he had set up for snowcross/snowrally or whatever they call it. Had the giant set of lights on the front, and one giant light inside the rear hatch for backing up in the dark, since that model GTi had such tiny triangular, useless reverse lights.

He got pulled over once on the way up north to Traverse City. When the cop lit him up with his door spots, it pretty much blinded the cop temporarily when it hit the reflector of the rear mounted light. I don't recall the ticket that was written, but if I recall correctly it included a secondary offense for that rear mounted light not being covered.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
here in wisconsin, there is a guy in the club that has over 13lights just on the front alone. but the only lights that you can use here are 2 aux lights BELOW headlight level.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Don't forget that the lights can not be over 55 watts each and any light facing forward that is over 55 watts must be covered so they can't be turned on while on the road.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Don't forget that the lights can not be over 55 watts each and any light facing forward that is over 55 watts must be covered so they can't be turned on while on the road.
low beams. your high beams can (and usually are) higher wattage, but obviously must be dimmed for approaching traffic.

failure to dim high beams is a pretty significant ticket if I recall correctly.

this does bring up an interesting point however, LED head lights, if not out are around the corner, and obviously run at lower wattages. as well as HID's. wonder if the legislature has addressed either? (I did'nt see either in the legislative links above)

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
I actually I just re-read the law and it looks like they already have. It looks like they have moved from watts to candlepower.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts