Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Biohazards
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a frame for my truck that is set up for 4x4 however the frame is a F-150 and those are coils up front.

What do you guys think is better... coils or leaves. I wa thinking with coils I could do a 4 link up front eventually... but have always liked leaf springs...

Comments/Opinions...

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Both have benefits.

Main disadvantage for leaves:

internal friction causes the spring rate to seem higher than it really is
They stick out, so you can't get a 90 degree approach
Spring-Wrap

Main disadvantage for coils:
Need to setup all the links (expensive)
Requires a lot of clearance. (hard to mount spares, gas tank, steering)

On something like a stock TJ, the coil setup generally saves weight. Once you go to long arms that can handle the punishment, there's no weight savings.

I'm planning on a full-on Buggy(Formula Toy) build starting this winter, it will be front and rear leaves, at least to start.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Several of the "high-zoot" rigs that ran Rattlerock (5+ difficulty trail on a scale of 1-5) at Oak Ridge, TN (Windrock) were running leaves front & coilovers rear. The rig I rode in for part of the trip ran leaves all-around, but he's a self-proclaimed "old school" guy.

Craig

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
5,657 Posts
run the fox racing nitro shock/coil

I thought about doing SOA leafs on the front of my yj and doing fox racing nitro shock/coils in the rear with 4 link.... but that was going to be to much money so i just did SOA. Mabey later on i'll get around to it...??

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Several of the "high-zoot" rigs that ran Rattlerock (5+ difficulty trail on a scale of 1-5) at Oak Ridge, TN (Windrock) were running leaves front & coilovers rear. The rig I rode in for part of the trip ran leaves all-around, but he's a self-proclaimed "old school" guy.

Craig

Yeah, you see it a lot, since its a good bit easier to design a link/coil spring setup for the rear, since you don't have steering components to dodge.

This is a Formula Toyota. They are a 'spec' rockcrawling vehicle, which have to use leaf springs for competition. These things are plenty capable.

On my truck, I have 13" shocks at all corners, and currently I can max out all 4 of them. I don't feel from a suspension travel standpoint that I need more that what I have. I'm nowhere near maxed on this pic.

What I do have a problem with, is hitting my spring hangers on things. Thats because I use flat springs, instead of paying for some better arched ones. I'll be getting new ones when I get the buggy going. The spring hangers are vulnerable to rock hits. This pic is hard to see, but here's my front hanger after tellico. Thats 1/4" thick steel. Was hitting hard enough on a ledge assault to lift the back end off the ground. About 10-12 hits did this.

They are gusseted now, but still take hits. You can see that here:

IMO, if you are running into those kind of issues, or spring wrap (I don't run traction bars on mine, but I probably could use one front and back), then looking at a 4 link is worthwhile. I think for many people, good old leaves are just fine.

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,959 Posts
The on road riding of coils vs leafs is not even debatable IMO. Coils ride better.

I have seen leafs that can work as slides for many places, but it also seems that even on fully locked rigs the front wheel will have to bump a rock harder to get over it, as where the flexing of a linked axle will walk up it easier.

But if you want less expensive and pretty damn durable than leafs are hard to beat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts