Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The driver side front lower control arm bolt has rusted itself into the metal sleeve in the rubber bushing. The mount on the axle...with the fat washers that line it up. Of course the front pinion allows for space issues like getting a good swing with a bfh, or using a c-clamp to get around it.

Is there anything I need to know about this bolt??? Can I just use a hardware store grade 8 instead??? I know the markings on the head are different from the bolt at frame end, but the size is the same.

this is on a 2004 TJ and I am doing nothing but attempting to replace a factory bent arm with a factory non bent model I have on hand.

I am driving down to ATS sunday to get it dirty and need to get this thing going..damnit.

thanks for the help:beer:

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
If you are going to install a new arm, then cut the bolt out, and get a new bolt too. And do your self a favor, anti-sieze the crap out of it, not just the treads either, that's not what needs it the most. They always rust themselves to the metal sleeve.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I don't know what TJ's come with fromt he factory. I just recall a recent thread by Brewmenn where he could not find a TJ cam bolt in stock at any dealer in the Detroit area or something. I don't know the specs of his Jeep.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
You should be able to look at the bolt head if it's off cenet it's a cam bolt. Duh. If it's just a stocker it should be a 9/16" 4" long bolt grade 8 or a M14 100mm 10.9.

Just cut it out if it's being a PITA.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
Get that thing put back together.

The ATS train pulls out at 0730 tomorrow AM...

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep got it back together.:thumb:

and I was able to not cut the bolt. I cut the control arm off, then got a pair of vice grips on the metal bushing.

the bolts are not "cam" style per say...they are centered on the washers. But the washer at the head seemed to be somewhat permanent....I just reinstalled it and have some grade 8 9/16 that I'll put in my toolbox.

It might be possible to remove the washer at the head, but I was just interested in getting it back together to really investigate further.

Thanks kids.:beer:

see ya in the AM Duff....:rock:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
correct. "most" TJ's had cam bolts. and XJ's use shims at the unibody end.

if the washer that you describe is somewhat off center on the head of the bolt, or if there are 2 small indents around the are of the bolts (either on the upper or lower control arm mount. i know in the rear the cam bolt or cam bolt option is on the upper axle mount) on the control arm mount and it has the offset heavy washer, then it's a cam bolt. if it looks like a "normal" bolt, then you probably don't have the cam setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts