Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have this combo or maybe just a 60 front? I have some cash and I need to get my hands on the front especially. Not so worried about the rear. Let me know via PM if you have one and how much and where. Thanks!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too picky really. I have an FSJ, but I can easily change my tcase out cheap to switch the drop side. If yours is Ford, that makes it perfect, but I may still want to grab it up even if its not. What are the specs? Width, gears, complete WMS to WMS or no brakes, etc...

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
That doesn't really make it perfect and your application will require you to be picky if you want to retain your leaf sspring position. The 80-up HPD60's have the diff farther outboard and the spring is right up against the diff. That will pretty much lock you in on that side and you'll have to shorten the passenger side to bring the perch in to your spring. Otherwise, you'll have to go some goofy shit or go 4-link to make it work well.

Your best bet is a 78-79 HPD60. You'll only have to add a little bit of perch to the edges of the existing ones and re-center the centerbolt hole, or you can re-perch since the diff is farther inboard and you have room to work.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
As Hacksaw and Pavementpounder said the '86 and newer axles have a wider spring perch. IIRC it's 36" between centers. I narrowed the one under my Jeep 7" and it's now at 61.75" WMS to WMS. The inner axles on the '86 and newers are non-necked down and can be resplined pretty easily. I had mine done by Moser in '96 for $50 to narrow the housing and $50 to respline the shaft. Custom length shafts are typically in the $100 range. I don't know what moser gets to narrow a housing up today. If you want to do it yourself there are numerous articles on the Pirate board. The C's are just fillet welded onto the tubes and can be repositioned with some elbow grease and time.

This axle is currently a dually but unlike the Chevy and Dodge axles the SRW hubs are cheap and easy to find for Ford 60's. Ford D60 front hubs and rotors are interchangeable with the TTB F350's and some of the TTB F250's.

This axle is complete with rotors, calipers, lockouts, mounting plates, etc. I do not know the condition of the calipers but the rotors look useable.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But if I plan to put on new perches, it really shouldn't matter too much. Depending on exactly where the pumpkin is.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
But if I plan to put on new perches, it really shouldn't matter too much. Depending on exactly where the pumpkin is.
This is what I was trying to explain to you. You really can't move the perch on the driver's side on those years of HPD60. Its already *in* the diff and there's only a few inches (literally) to the knuckle yoke, so you can't just put them wherever you want. The 80-up F-350's had very wide spring spacing. The 78-79's have the room on the tube for you to match the perches to your springs and run it full-width. Otherwise, the axle will stick out one side of your rig.

LT1YJ's axle would work out well for a YJ or FSJ if you narrow it to match your springs and run a cab & chassis rear (about 63" WMS). :thumb: Otherwise, you'll end up with a rear that's wider than your front or you'll have to narrow a rear to match it. C&C's aren't that hard to find, though.

Get on Pirate and read the D60 and 14b Bibles. :thumb:

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
i just picked up 5 early 80,s chevy 60 fronts and matching 14 bolt rears, i will have them this weekend and will post a price, if intrested in passenger side drop.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you go Chevy go with the '80 or newer axles with the non-necked down shafts if you have a choice.

Pavementpounder's last post is right on. That's why I'm running the narrowed HP60 in my YJ. I only had to narrow the long side to get the ~62" WMS. The '78 or '79 would need both sides cut down and both new inner axle shafts.

It's your rig and you know what you want. If you go links in the front it doesn't really matter. If you want to run leafs you would have to outboard the springs to get the '86 or newer HP60 to fit. There isn't much room to go narrower. Maybe 35" at the narrowest and then you may have a hard time getting the front cover off.

·
i pull out
485 Posts
there was a dana 60 chevy axle in the auto trader.In the middle with all the other parts.I think they wanted 500$. 4:56 gears.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Edited title. Looks like if I want to save myself a lot of headaches I am looking for the Ford front. Will consider older Chevys possibly as long as the pumpkin leaves some room for re-locating the spring perches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts