Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to check out an '06 WK today and was just curious if there is anything to be wary of with the 4.7? I am familiar with the 4.0 and the 3.7, but not the 8 cyl.

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
The only thing I've heard of is a lifter tick developing at about 100K. I have a 00 Dakota with 110K-ish with no issues, including any lifter ticks. I did have to replace an exhaust manifold at about 105K - it came loose and had rust on the sealing surface. Otherwise, it's been a great powerful little V8. No reservations.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I've heard of is a lifter tick developing at about 100K. I have a 00 Dakota with 110K-ish with no issues, including any lifter ticks. I did have to replace an exhaust manifold at about 105K - it came loose and had rust on the sealing surface. Otherwise, it's been a great powerful little V8. No reservations.

:thumb: not worried about too much at 100k. It would take us 10 years to get to that mark.

·
Can't Worry About It
1,070 Posts
i never worked on one that substantailly broke at the dodge dealer so they seem pretty reliable to me.

more reliable than the hemi's anyway.

the new ones have the dual spark plugs, one is a standard copper plug (30000 miles)the other is a platnum rated for 60000 miles so don't fall for an expensive spark plug change at the dealer at 30k. and you can't get a craftsman sprak plug socket in the hole for the top plugs, you need a snapon or matco one becuase its slightly narrower diameter

·
NMU Trailcat Alumni
941 Posts
my brothers wj is a bitch to work on compared to the line 6 but if its new, no worries for a while, he's got like 108-112k miles and i'm referring to when we changed his water pump and timing cover gasket cause the timing cover leaked a bit and the water pump had seepage around the gasket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts