Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
I seen a show on Discovery not long ago about a company that will install Windmill Generators on your property, and Jay Leno did a system that powers his garage, but also feeds back into the grid when the place is shut down at night and I think he said saves him something like 1000 dollars a month on his power bill.

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seen a show on Discovery not long ago about a company that will install Windmill Generators on your property, and Jay Leno did a system that powers his garage, but also feeds back into the grid when the place is shut down at night and I think he said saves him something like 1000 dollars a month on his power bill.
how much was the windmill install ? was it of them big bastards that takes 4 semi's to haul all the peices in ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow, if one were planning on living in their house for a long time, the $4500 might really be worth it.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Nah they werent that big. They mostly used a vertical design that's like the squirrel cage heaters.

This is the company he worked with on it, www.PacWind.net
those are neat, but does anyone have any idea what else you need besides that? how many batteries? are they a certain type? how long do they last and cost?

i'd love to be more independant with energy, screw DTE and Consumers

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
Clearly you didn't watch the State of the State address a few nights ago. :poke: They covered this topic and are enacting this in Michigan where you can put wind/solar in your back yard and sell extra energy back to the power company.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,694 Posts
YUp, I want me one of dem wind machines. Just hard to justify the initial cost.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
those are neat, but does anyone have any idea what else you need besides that? how many batteries? are they a certain type? how long do they last and cost?

i'd love to be more independant with energy, screw DTE and Consumers
Read the information on the cheapest one. To get 1kW of energy, you need windspeed of approximately 40 mph and you need to get this thing a minimum of 30' in the air, preferably 90'.

Then you have to figure in the price of the battery bank and inverter size - and how many electrical appliances you can live without. To give you an idea, I have a very small solar system on my camper (180W). I have a 300A-h battery bank and a 700W inverter. This is good enough for about 5 days of lights/waterpump/vent fan operation (all 12V); add any inverter load and my reserve decreases near exponentially. For 300 A-h of battery power, I spent about $600 (6 100Ah 6V SLA batteries).

To seriously live "off the grid", you would need to have all propane appliances (including a fridge) and you would need city water or spend a lot of charge on pumping your water out of the ground.
Use this calculator to estimate the size of battery bank you will need:
http://www.bigfrogmountain.com/calculators/dailyamphourusage.htm

Also, the wind don't blow that hard that often here in MI, so you'll need to figure in another alternate energy source, whether it is solar (LOL, right) or a generator.

I would love to live off the grid in MI, however, with the available wind and sun and the limited depth of my pockets, I gave up.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
IB84scramblertellsuswindpowerdoesntwork.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
Read the information on the cheapest one. To get 1kW of energy, you need windspeed of approximately 40 mph and you need to get this thing a minimum of 30' in the air, preferably 90'.

Then you have to figure in the price of the battery bank and inverter size - and how many electrical appliances you can live without. To give you an idea, I have a very small solar system on my camper (180W). I have a 300A-h battery bank and a 700W inverter. This is good enough for about 5 days of lights/waterpump/vent fan operation (all 12V); add any inverter load and my reserve decreases near exponentially. For 300 A-h of battery power, I spent about $600 (6 100Ah 6V SLA batteries).

To seriously live "off the grid", you would need to have all propane appliances (including a fridge) and you would need city water or spend a lot of charge on pumping your water out of the ground.

Also, the wind don't blow that hard that often here in MI, so you'll need to figure in another alternate energy source, whether it is solar (LOL, right) or a generator.

I would love to live off the grid in MI, however, with the available wind and sun and the limited depth of my pockets, I gave up.
water power?

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts

Think simpler.
I think we can too live off the grid and keep a modest modern lifestyle. Imho we realistically really only need a fridge. I am sure solar and wind can accomplish keeping a fridge alive endlessly during the warmer months.

Heck! If indians lived in tepees during the winters we should thrive in a modern house with a fireplace.

Will it be convenient and typical? Of course not. Living off the grid will be a lifestyle change.

I know water is necessary, but I figure a holding tank and run off rain water would do :d:

I also know we do not need any appliances, but I like to get a snack from the fridge in the middle of the night :d:

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Think simpler.
I think we can too live off the grid and keep a modest modern lifestyle. Imho we realistically really only need a fridge. I am sure solar and wind can accomplish keeping a fridge alive endlessly during the warmer months.

Heck! If indians lived in tepees during the winters we should thrive in a modern house with a fireplace.

Will it be convenient and typical? Of course not. Living off the grid will be a lifestyle change.

I know water is necessary, but I figure a holding tank and run off rain water would do :d:

I also know we do not need any appliances, but I like to get a snack from the fridge in the middle of the night :d:
HAHAHAHA

You'll not find a simpler thinking person than myself! Wait, wat?

Anyway, living off the grid is agreeably a major lifestyle change, however, even if you make the decision, your wife will most likely veto your choice. :teehee:

You can run a fridge on propane, you can wash closes by hand and hang them to dry, you can heat with wood, but you cannot get enough water from a cistern.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Clearly you didn't watch the State of the State address a few nights ago. :poke: They covered this topic and are enacting this in Michigan where you can put wind/solar in your back yard and sell extra energy back to the power company.
Clearly I did not. But I already knew you could, I was just using Leno as an example.

It could still be worth it though, like maybe in a thunder storm your power goes out, you might have 20-50mph winds that could still power some stuff. Even better if you have the money to buy multiple ones.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
HAHAHAHA

You'll not find a simpler thinking person than myself! Wait, wat?

Anyway, living off the grid is agreeably a major lifestyle change, however, even if you make the decision, your wife will most likely veto your choice. :teehee:

You can run a fridge on propane, you can wash closes by hand and hang them to dry, you can heat with wood, but you cannot get enough water from a cistern.
wanna live off the grid? find land with natural gas under it. does not need to be a large reef, just big enough to run a generator.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts