Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas of how to wire up a kill switch in my XJ. I've got the fuel pump side of it covered but still looking for ideas to kill the motor/electrical side of it. Not to keen on putting one inline with the positve battery cable. Dont like the idea of killing power to the computer all the time.

Also, I plan on using a terthered type kill switch. Like this

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
on tjs there is a relay called the ASD relay. Splice in a switch to the bottom of this, it controls the fuel pump the coil and the clutch saftey switch if you have a manual.

Edit: too slow and i forgot to mention i do realize yo have an xj not a tj

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Wait, if you have a fuel pump kill switch, why bother with something else?

I mean, if they're absolutely not getting fuel, how will they go anywhere...?

·
5,820 Posts
I plan on cutting the power to the ECM but not the constant power source. If you get the pin-outs it'll be obvious which one will do what you want without doing damage. It'll just be a kill switch for a seperate harness that powers the things that need to be disconnected, the constant power source does not have to be interrupted, they just say things need to shut off... Depending on how much rewiring you want to do will determine how "safe" you make it on the components.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
in my searches i've come across this a couple times but i've got no clue what that is. guess i'll have to look into that more.
Im not familiar with your rig specifically but all you need to do is locate the ASD relay. On a TJ there is a relay/ fuse box under the hood. Trace the power and ground wires on the underside of the relay. Then splice your switch into the ground wire. simple as that. there is some good info out there on this.

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
I have a inline positive cable kill switch on my chassis been that way for 4 years now I have not had any problems with my computer. (Knock on wood) It will clear the computer each time and reset it which should be fine. The only thing I think it may effect from cutting full power to the computer is the fuel trip memory...so if it runs rich or lean the computer will have to recalculate and relearn each time you use the rig. Other than that it should not effect it.
I only use mine when the truck is not in use for long periods of time not to kill it in motion.... for comp. I would kill the coil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts