Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to use this for a running timeline/storyline for the boat... The first post is a copy/paste from the pub.

So while everyone else has been prepping for KOH and heading West, I went in a different direction (literally). We sold the race truck and I've been steering the hobbies to more family friendly and hopefully far less stressful times.

So we headed south and bought a boat! I've always wanted a center console boat and recently have been learning as much as I can about bay boat style hulls. I had it narrowed down to Key West, Scout, Pathfinder and nautic star. A key west 216 was top of the list but I figured was out of the budget. I got lucky and tracked down a boat that was listed last fall and the owner still had it and still intended to sell it come spring. I jumped at it and loaded the family up.

The boat has been used since new out of Grand Isle, south of NOLA.

Over 39 hours in the truck and 2309 miles with a nearly 2 year old and a 4 year old, and we were back with the boat I wanted. A Key West 216, powered by a 225 optimax, 6 foot power pole, 80 lb riptide front troller and a few other goodies. The layout is awesome and I'm glad I didn't go with some of the 19' options I was also considering. This is 21'6", 106" outside the rub rails and drafts about 15".

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First goal was to get more, comfortable seating. This meant cutting in new pedestal mounts and replacing the old ones as well. I added the 2 mounts to the beginning of the bow platform which make for good lounging seats for sand bars or light cruising. The thought is once the boys get bigger and more comfortable, they can sit in them forward for cruising too (don't trust them yet, and the spinning of the seats is tough for them).

I wanted to splurge on a nice cushion top cooler, but I couldn't justify the cost... so the old cooler was pulled out of the barn and I screwed 2 $5 throwable cushions into the lid. The lid comes off the cooler (hinges broke years ago), so worst case, this would also be a floatable/throwable...

The first trip was on 3/18 on a warm spring day. There was ice on the launch in the am, but I figured with the wind and warm air, it would push the ice out by the afternoon. We went for an afternoon picnic and shakedown. Boat ran great. Only issue was the power pole acting up.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After first use, I realized I needed an easier place for the phone storage, boat paperwork, truck keys, etc... So I removed the CD player, added a blue-tooth player (lower right on the helm) and new speakers in the console. I cut a big glovebox in to keep everything dry and added 12V and USB charging ports inside the glovebox. For electronics, I went with the 7" Hook 2 with imaging (and still trying to figure out how to use it).

The power pole ended up being a corroded pigtail in the storage box that holds the control module. Easy peasy.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So far this spring we have used Whitmore Lake, Lake Fenton, Lake Saint Clair and Big lake.

We ran Lake St Clair Sunday of Memorial weekend with an east wind, and now I am 100% certain that a 19' boat would have kept me off the lake. The lake was chewed up from wind and every single person in MI who rented slips on the lake was out trying to get their boat in and out of marinas. It was a mess. It was too sloppy to fish (had the boys) but we had fun cruising. I would run 25-28 mph without feeling like I was pushing it too much for the boys. There was a handfull of times the prop came out of the water, but the boat is very stable on plane. Never concerned with stuffing it and it never wanted to hook left/right even with side rollers. Planting the trim tabs down slightly helped so I played with those settings for a while.

We launched at 9 mile, went south to south of Gross Pointe, turned north and ran all the way up to Anchor Bay, back down almost to Belle Isle then back to 9 mile. We tucked into Ford Cove for a while just to get out of the wind. All in all we ran about 45-50 miles for the day and we were all bone dry. It's driest boat I've ever ridden on. Having everyone in the center helps too.

Monday we went up to Big Lake just to relax and hang out. I don't want a T top (wind sail on the water and sucks for trailering), I don't want a bimini top... so I took the advice from the guy I bought this from... just use a patio umbrella. You can use it in the rod holders on the center console or the rod holders mounted on the rails. When you don't want it, it all fits in the bow storage on the starboard side. It worked great...

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
Out of 30 boats at the sand bar I was able to spot the gay umbrella right away. :finger:
Boat looks great. Glad you stopped by. :thumb:

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Out of 30 boats at the sand bar I was able to spot the gay umbrella right away. :finger:
Boat looks great. Glad you stopped by. :thumb:
I was also able to spot your 250 sq foot burgundy tunnel!!!!

And thanks for NOT stopping by the sand bar :thumb::fish:

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
Looks like one sweet family cruiser, nice work! Hope you make it out to our lakes soon.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
I was also able to spot your 250 sq foot burgundy tunnel!!!!

And thanks for NOT stopping by the sand bar :thumb::fish:
The sand bar is for you young folks who like to stand in pee. :teehee:
I've spent many a day there but it's too crowded now. Used to be some awesome volleyball games. :bdr2:

Plus since you didn't come back I figured you don't like us anymore. :finger:

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
Curiosity question is your Lowrance setup to run your engine instrumentation?

EDIT: Scratch that, didn't notice the digital gauge behind the steering wheel picture

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
Making any trips to LSC this year? There's a ton of fun places to explore with all the water we've had the last few summers.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Making any trips to LSC this year? There's a ton of fun places to explore with all the water we've had the last few summers.
I'de love to know more about LSC, mainly any swimming areas for the boys. Any suggestions?

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sand bar is for you young folks who like to stand in pee. :teehee:
I've spent many a day there but it's too crowded now. Used to be some awesome volleyball games. :bdr2:

Plus since you didn't come back I figured you don't like us anymore. :finger:
Too crowded!!!???? There were 10 boats there tops LOL.

We swung back by your place on our way out, but the sun had moved into your old man chair patio and I figured you were inside getting ready for bed.

Curiosity question is your Lowrance setup to run your engine instrumentation?

EDIT: Scratch that, didn't notice the digital gauge behind the steering wheel picture
just the digital gauge.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
Too crowded!!!???? There were 10 boats there tops LOL.

We swung back by your place on our way out, but the sun had moved into your old man chair patio and I figured you were inside getting ready for bed.

just the digital gauge.
Lol
I was doing yard work on the other side.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope you make it out to our lakes soon.
Special thanks to Shawn, we have been able to use the Baseline chain of lakes!

Way more relaxing than U4 was... Put about 12+ hours on the water last weekend.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
Cute kids! Looks like a nice time!

Very happy I will be out of dry dock and back on the water next summer.

·
Project Antitube
901 Posts
I was out on the water Sunday morning for 1h20m with SPF100 and came back with sunburn and 10lbs lighter from sweating to death. Not enjoyable. As soon as I came off step I felt like I was swimming in my own sweat. Can't imagine being out there longer than that, or during peak sun.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Looks like a nice boat. I just saw a Key West getting pulled in TC yesterday. I'm gonna be in the market for something very similar next spring; a fish and family.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
I'de love to know more about LSC, mainly any swimming areas for the boys. Any suggestions?
Sorry, I just noticed I missed this.
Lots of swimming spots on LSC. Munchies bay, poor mans, strawberry island, big and little Muskamoot bay, swan creek point. (Gull Island is fun during the week, probably not kid appropriate on the weekend) Look on google maps, you'll see some of the places I am talking about.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like a nice boat. I just saw a Key West getting pulled in TC yesterday. I'm gonna be in the market for something very similar next spring; a fish and family.
make me an offer!!!! I could see jumping to a 24' bay boat soon...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts