Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Jay's sporting goods the other day and they had a crap load of Kayaks . I have never been kayaking before but it looks fun and they look a lot more comfortable than I would have thought. I had thought because of having lower back issues that I would not be able to do it . But looking at the seating setup in a few of them it seems you sit with your knees bent some and your lower back is supported.
Is paddling a kayak hard on your lower back? Can you sit comfortably for long periods? They look like a blast and seemed to be a relatively inexpensive sport to get into. Not saying you can't end up putting a lot of money into it but they had a lot of kayaks for under $500-$600.
Last time we were in the UP we saw a ton of people up by the pictured rocks having a good time out kayaking. I was just hoping to hear from some of you kayakers about this sport.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have had kayaks for a few years. I enjoy it. Started with entry level 189.00 kayaks. I have issues walking- a now fused right ankle. Have had back pain- hip pain for years. Still enjoy kayaking. I'm know seeing a Dr for my back pain- looks like bad disc. But I paddled some yesterday!
This is a serious offer. If you want to try a river-( or lake)come up to Cadillac area. I'll be willing to take you out for a paddle. I have 4 different ones.
Also a couple of places have demo days. Might check those to. A Native watercraft is suppose to have a great seat system- the cost a little more.
Beware thou- kayaks are like cockroaches the multiply in the dark. Or Lays potato chips nobody can have just one;).

My kayaking pup!

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will defiantly take you up on that. If we like it and I can do it we will be buying a couple. I just need to figure out if my 8yr old can do it himself or will I need to Buy a two a two seater

p

·
WHISKEY-TANGO-FOXTROT
2,981 Posts
I got about 25 years in kayaking, more years canoeing. I also have lower back issues/pain that doctors won't/can't do surgery on, so I live with pain. It has not stopped me from kayaking, just sometimes need to stop after a few hours to move the old bones. I am up to 4 kayaks and 1 canoe.
Your 8 year old should have no problems, a friends boys all started in their own kayaks at the age of 5. As long as they don't have a fear of water all should be good.
I also run a facebook page and website, come visit or join us anytime. West Michigan Kayakers=on Facebook, website= www.westmichigankayakers.webs.com

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
A Native watercraft is suppose to have a great seat system- the cost a little more.
Just got a Native Ultimate 12 FX on Sunday, so far I love it. The seat is very comfortable, and the high/low option is really nice. It's really stable, enough where you can stand up in it floating down the river.

My wife has a Hurricane and the seat in that is pretty nice too.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Just got a Native Ultimate 12 FX on Sunday, so far I love it. The seat is very comfortable, and the high/low option is really nice. It's really stable, enough where you can stand up in it floating down the river.

My wife has a Hurricane and the seat in that is pretty nice too.

Great to know! I'm having pain issues so I might be making a kayak change.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Don't know if you have a Native dealer near you, but Northbound Outfitters in Grayling was a great place to deal with, they'll even let you demo it in lake margarethe.

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
I have some minor back issues. I am able to kayak without any problems, as long as I dont overdue it.
canoeing for some reason I get sore afterwords. Try it out, everyones back is different.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Been canoeing my whole life & kayaking for the last 15, my canoe rarely gets used anymore unless I feel brave and want to take the dogs out. Try several kayaks out if you can and see what fits you. Your 8 year old should be able to do it himself. Like Padilen said they do seem to multiply. I have a sea kayak for big water, a somewhat open kayak for hunting and a fishing kayak. Currently looking to get rid of the fishing kayak to get one that fits better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts