Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to do some river Kayaking in Canada. We have a Hobie Oasis that we will be using without the Mirage unit so we will be paddling, not peddling.
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-oasis/
With a sit on top kayak, how do you keep your legs dry in cool weather? Rain gear? Some type of duster?

Another question, since it's hard to get in and out without getting your feet wet, what do you wear? I have wetsuit booties but I'm not thinking I want to have wet feet inside boots for 5-6 hours.

Advice?

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
I'd do good rain gear and good hiking boots.

That said, personally I wouldn't be that comfortable on a sit-on kayak on any river in the cold. Are there any rapids? Even a standing 1-foot wave will probably come over your bow. I'd try to borrow or rent traditional kayaks with spray skirts if possible, and take a dry bag with a fresh set of clothes and matches. Or I would prefer a canoe, which can ride out rapids without taking on water, and you don't get the kayak paddle drip. I'd still wear the rain gear either way, but you would stay a lot more comfortable.

Even during high water on fast rivers I can always seem to exit by stepping in just an inch or two of water, so I just wear my waterproof hiking boots.

Sounds like a blast, I'm jealous. Where in Canada are you going?

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
Never done it but maybe some chest waders, keep you dry and warm.
To me this just seems like a recipe for drowning if you weren't in water shallower than the waders were tall.

I'm not up to date on waders, but can a person actually swim with waders on?

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
To me this just seems like a recipe for drowning if you weren't in water shallower than the waders were tall.

Plus if they get wet, you're wet for the day, bad news in cold weather. With rain gear and a change in clothes you can be comfortable again.

Oh, and wool, wool, wool. Even if that gets wet you stay warm.

·
The Violator
5,070 Posts

They fill up and do become heavier but not in a way that would drown a person. I get water in mine often when installing and removing docks from the water. I have never felt that I would drown.

I personally wouldn't use chest waders but rather tall leg waders and dress warm.

·
Wakley Creek Wacos!
1,092 Posts

You should always wear a chest belt with waders. I've over-stepped my waders on the PM while fly fishing, and you can swim in them if you have your chest belt on.
It's not very fun, but it can be done.
Plus a life vest should be worn at all times while on the boat.
If you wear a rain coat/poncho over the waders it will keep you dry all day.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't picture wearing uncomfortable waders all day long. If I did anything I would wear my hip waders...... which is a good thought.

The river is the Goulais river, which runs through Searchmont out to Lake Superior. As far as I know it is a mildly moving river with no rapids. Yes, we plan to have a change of clothes in a waterproof container. As far as cold......... the current forecast looks like we will be north of the mid 50's or into the 60's, which I do not consider cold. We were out last evening (low 60's) and never felt cold.

I'm thinking light rain wear or possibly some type of water resistant/proof pants. Yes, life jackets will be on board.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Depending upon water temperature and your paddling style, a good set of neoprene gloves will be a great investment.

As far as staying dry - not entirely possible with respect to a kayak.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts