1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just getting into looking at Kayaks?

Pelican or Old Town for quality?

I'm 6' weigh 210, cheap one's have 225 capacity? will it still float? :tonka:

Just looking to do some "goofing around" with one, not serious kayaking, looking at Hines park or Huron River type stuff Southeast MI.

Looking at "sit in's" versus "sit on's" for sure.

:thumb:

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
if you want a good brand that doesn't cost alot of money go for a Perception(I have two of them)...you can get them at Gander Mt....But if you were stuck on the brands you can't go wrong with Old Town, but they are going to cost abit more...

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
I have an ancient, Perception Eclipse white water boat. It's relatively high volume compared to today's squirt boats, but still fun enough on moving water.

My boat is fun to watch a novice paddle in flat water/lakes with - river boats by nature are made to turn fast. A novice will think you paddle them like a canoe, and lean into it, turning the boat a good 90º or more in either direction with each stroke :sonicjay:

As for quality, most are made with the same basic materials and/or assembly techniques. If you are just "looking" to get into it, see if any of the local canoe liveries/rentals have any kayak rentals, and try a couple of different types out. It's at the high end/competition levels where things start to get expensive, and noticeably different for the 'purists'.

Also, many of the dedicated outdoor sporting good stores have periodic demo-days. The name of the place in Ann Arbor right on the river escapes me at the moment, but that was a fun place to "browse" back in the day. For what it's worth, many of these shops will also have lessons, where you can learn various self recovery methods, braces, surfing techniques, etc.

I used to know a guy that used a white water boat to surf freighter wakes out in Lake St. Clair... Last I heard, he's working for one of the rafting companies in WV filming rafting trips, and/or doing bungee jumping from the Gauley Bridge.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
I was checking out some kayaks recently and came across these http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html
pretty awesome for water over a few feet deep. Check out the video to see how efficient they are
for a tourist/rental boat that looks like it'd be pretty cool. I'd hate to be in any type of rough water, or moving water with it however.

In real kayaking, the paddle isn't just propulsion and steering, but when done properly, it's an essential means of bracing/staying upright.

I also had to smirk at the benefits of the more efficient hobie being 'lower heart rates'.

I guess I look at things differently, much like I don't have a $5,000 mt bike with 37 gears, and 47" of suspension travel. An older/heavier bike affords a better work out in less time. So too, an inefficient kayak will give ya' that benefit of a work out while you tour as well. :thumb:

If one is afraid of breaking a sweat on the kayak, sling a trolling motor on it :p

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
If one is afraid of breaking a sweat on the kayak, sling a trolling motor on it :p

Yea but then you would have to get MC numbers for it! ahahaha!!! Ryebread you head out on any of the lakes in Fenton? The wife and I go all the time, except I haven't been out this year..

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
Yea but then you would have to get MC numbers for it! ahahaha!!! Ryebread you head out on any of the lakes in Fenton? The wife and I go all the time, except I haven't been out this year..
It's been a while since I looked up the requirements, but I thought canoes/kayak's greater than 16' required MC numbers anyway? (Mine's only a 12' boat)

I haven't had my boat on flat water in about 7 years. Last fall I took it out only once, and that was to drag the bottom on the Shiawasee river in Fenton.

Given that I sold the Jeep, it's inconvenient for me to get it out lately. I haven't bothered to figure out a means of transporting it with the Miata, and if I take the van, that means the wife is anchored at home with the two kids, since the miata/commuter only seats 2...

When I lived up in Glen Devon Condo's on the golf course (8+ years ago), I took it out quite a bit on Lake Fenton, and on Silver Lake. With young kids at home, and being involved in their activities, just not a lot of time to paddle as of late.

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
It's been a while since I looked up the requirements, but I thought canoes/kayak's greater than 16' required MC numbers anyway? (Mine's only a 12' boat)

I haven't had my boat on flat water in about 7 years. Last fall I took it out only once, and that was to drag the bottom on the Shiawasee river in Fenton.

Given that I sold the Jeep, it's inconvenient for me to get it out lately. I haven't bothered to figure out a means of transporting it with the Miata, and if I take the van, that means the wife is anchored at home with the two kids, since the miata/commuter only seats 2...

When I lived up in Glen Devon Condo's on the golf course (8+ years ago), I took it out quite a bit on Lake Fenton, and on Silver Lake. With young kids at home, and being involved in their activities, just not a lot of time to paddle as of late.
True, unless you add power then all boats need MC numbers, we went down the Shiawasee once...nevr again it stunk like sewage...

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
if you want a good brand that doesn't cost alot of money go for a Perception(I have two of them)...you can get them at Gander Mt....But if you were stuck on the brands you can't go wrong with Old Town, but they are going to cost abit more...
x2 on the Perception. Dagger also makes nice boats.

Personally I wouldn't buy an Old Town kayak - they make nice canoes, but the kayaks aren't as good.

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
x2 on the Perception. Dagger also makes nice boats.

Personally I wouldn't buy an Old Town kayak - they make nice canoes, but the kayaks aren't as good.

I had an Old Town and loved it...alot of foot and leg room compaired to the Perception I have now...me = 6 footer

·
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback guy's!:thumb:

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
I like the Old Town, too. We've got 4 of them up north under 14'. We paddle the Manistee and the Betsie Rivers every summer in them. I'm looking into touring Kayaks for myself right now, and really liked the way the Perceptions track in the wind.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
True, unless you add power then all boats need MC numbers, we went down the Shiawasee once...nevr again it stunk like sewage...
my issue was lack of water flow. we had a couple of late summer storms that moved some of the semi-stagnant areas, and I was upriver from the water treatment facilities so I did not encounter any sewage.

I finally got fed up with dragging my bum, got out, slung it over my shoulder, and carried it through town.

I too am a 6' footer, I fluctuate between 190 and 215 lbs depending on season, and my adherence to a workout regiment, and/or fiber content in the diet :sonicjay:; and will agree that the perception boats have some legroom issues.

worse, the cockpit opening on mine is tight enough I can't pull my legs up to itch, or swat at any biting insects/spiders that may have found their way down to my feet/ankles. :(

for winter paddling however, my feet stay warm, and with the spray skirt, it stays nice and dry from nipples down (that's about how high my spray skirt comes up)

I also haven't seen it mentioned, but a good paddle will make a difference as well. I have a very pretty, and nice azali wooden paddle, as well as an even lighter perception harmony paddle.

if you do any cold weather paddling, get the drip rings for the paddle, and/or wear some quality wet/dry gloves.

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
I can't remember what paddle I have...I like it alot though...it's a two piece with three different angles...What I like about my two piece is it's not sloppy the joint is really tight

·
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a deposit on a perception Prodigy 10, they also have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100 I may look at when I go. Put a "hold" on the Prodigy so I don't lose it between now and Thurs:thumb:

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
My family has 3 old Town kayaks... 2 12' and a flat 9'

·
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any for sale Bones? G/F will need one too:tonka:

·
Registered
100 Posts
pretty sure that perception, wilderness systems, dagger, riot, mad river.
are from the same mother company. i just picked up a wilderness systems tsunami 125. so far i love it, at 6'4" 210# fits me perfect. has some length for tracking yet still agile for twisty rivers.
http://www.thekayakstore.com/TKS0_home.asp
where i bought mine.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts