Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a good deal on a 94 XJ, been out of the jeep scene for a few years though. Its gonna be my new commuter tank.

Anyhow, its got shitty open diffs and sucks in the snow. I feel like a dousche having a lifted XJ on 31s that gets stuck in snow.

Anyhow. what do you guys recommend for a traction device to get this thing goin again? Are Aussie lockers still the rage? Back when I had my CJ they were sposed to be the cats ass.

Thanks for the help

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
got a good deal on a 94 XJ, been out of the jeep scene for a few years though. Its gonna be my new commuter tank.

Anyhow, its got shitty open diffs and sucks in the snow. I feel like a dousche having a lifted XJ on 31s that gets stuck in snow.

Anyhow. what do you guys recommend for a traction device to get this thing goin again? Are Aussie lockers still the rage? Back when I had my CJ they were sposed to be the cats ass.

Thanks for the help
I recommend you read the PM I just sent you. :d:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recommend you read the PM I just sent you. :d:
haha they sound sweet, but thats more than I paid for the whole jeep haha

This thing is just to get me to and from work while driving thru detroit. I just want some sort of anti-slip so I dont get stuck in the snow

·
No 4X4. :-(
455 Posts
If you want cheap....
Weld the rear. Lunchbox the front.

Otherwise you could get an 8.8 out of a exploder and get a factory LSD and rear disc brakes too!

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
From my experience, isnt a locked/lsd diff worse in the snow because it will cause you to slide around more, more likely to end up in the ditch, more likely to be stuck worse than before?

Id go with some new 235's and call it a winter.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
From my experience, isnt a locked/lsd diff worse in the snow because it will cause you to slide around more, more likely to end up in the ditch, more likely to be stuck worse than before?

Then don't pilot yourself into a ditch. :sonicjay:

LSD's and lockers are more of a fishtailing problem with 2wd cars. When you have an additional tire or two pulling in the front of the vehicle, you usually don't just drift laterally.

The whole point of 4wd is to have additional driven points of traction, which is also what a LSD or locker gives you. Even if the traction devices causes you to move sideways, you weren't going anywhere on the two contact patches you were initially sitting on in the first place. The lateral movement presents additional opportunities to grab hold of the ground.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Then don't pilot yourself into a ditch. :sonicjay:

LSD's and lockers are more of a fishtailing problem with 2wd cars. When you have an additional tire or two pulling in the front of the vehicle, you usually don't just drift laterally.

The whole point of 4wd is to have additional driven points of traction, which is also what a LSD or locker gives you. Even if the traction devices causes you to move sideways, you weren't going anywhere on the two contact patches you were initially sitting on in the first place. The lateral movement presents additional opportunities to grab hold of the ground.
Im yet to find myself in a ditch due to snow or ice (although I was starting to think i was destin last thursday)

An lsd/locker in a no traction situation due to snow is no better if not worse than an open diff due to the lateral movement. I could see putting a locker in the front to help out because it would be easily selectable then. Id much rather deal with a slow take off over facing traffic. A real solution for on road snow driving would be smaller, better snow traction tires than what I would assume to be an m/t.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts

An lsd/locker in a no traction situation due to snow is no better if not worse than an open diff due to the lateral movement. I could see putting a locker in the front to help out because it would be easily selectable then. Id much rather deal with a slow take off over facing traffic. A real solution for on road snow driving would be smaller, better snow traction tires than what I would assume to be an m/t.
What you're talking about now is the advantage of being open when going down the road and what a LSD/locker might cause in a turn, not when stuck like you were just a few posts ago. Making the assumption that people only get stuck right next to a ditch and a LSD/locker is therefore bad is ridiculous. Stop changing the subject to try and make your point correct. :sonicjay: If you are moving (regardless of whether it is forward, backward, or to the side), you are not stuck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts