Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Taco driving jeep wheeler
1991 XJ
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After years of beating up DD’s I decided back in 2012 to pick up an XJ as a wheeling rig. I have always loved XJ’s and while this is far from what I would call a solid trail rig, it constantly impresses me with what it can do without much other then a small lift and tires.

The day I picked it up. i was so dang excited to get it home. 1991 4.0 HO with the aw4 auto and a np231 t case. non Abs too, so I got to miss out on the Dana 35 rear end.

picked up a set of second hand eBay bumpers and ordered a 3”lift with a 3/4” front spacer and upper/lower short arms.

I have been around enough Xj’s to know about unibody flex issues, so I made sure to invest in a set of frame rail stiffeners from T&T customs to lock things down. It might have been just placebo, but I swear it made the Jeep feel a ton more solid going down the road.
Grabbed a set of bald 32’s and some Ford ranger rims, ran it pretty much like this for 6 years. I made up for whatever it was lacking in the hardware department with a heavy right foot.

2 years ago I finally broke down and bought new rubber for it. 33x10.5 dick cepek extreme country rollers on the same ranger rims as before. ZJ steering added as was a steering box brace, and an adjustable trac bar. Under the hood I mounted a ZJ alternator in the location of the AC compressor and removed the engine driven fan and installed a Ford Taurus E-fan. Also ran a cowl intake off the back of the factory air box.

when lack of lockers and a winch caught up with me. Doesn’t look that bad but soaked the carpet And under dash fuse box. Luckily my brother saved my bacon with his Tacoma, it was a bad day to take my hi-lift jack out of the back and just go.

pulled the carpet to find the floors were starting to go. My current project is patching them up. I’m hoping to have them patched and painted up by spring.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good job! I too need to start patching my floors. But I have recently sold pretty much all my transport. So my cherokee from Alabama might become my daily soon. In the salt.................................... :cry:

·
1991 XJ
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job! I too need to start patching my floors. But I have recently sold pretty much all my transport. So my cherokee from Alabama might become my daily soon. In the salt.................................... :cry:
Thanks! And- nooooo!!!!! :-( my Jeep was pretty clean underneath when I got it. I took it out winter wheeling a few times and forget to wash it down afterwards, I swear it made it so much worse. And then on the other hand... you gotta do what you gotta do!

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,529 Posts
Glad to see the new thread and look forward to following along.... thanks

·
1991 XJ
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

A couple of shots of the taurus fan install. I went with a ZJ v8 alternator to up my amperage for the high speed setting on the fan, while leaving some room for lights etc. to add on later. For extra control I ran both high and low speed settings on separate switches (smudged label on the center is high) so the whole thing could be shut down for high water. On the High speed setting this fan moves a crap ton of air. The crawl toggle switch is a manual override from the TCM to the second gear solenoid to lock the trans in first gear when the jeep is in the 1-2 range.

shot of the cowl induction setup. I cut off the factory intake location in the air box and used job weld to seal the box up so the 3” flex hose would draw air from the cowl. A higher intake location and no snorkel to get nocked off back on the tighter trails.

·
1991 XJ
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Of course the drivers side was much worse then the passenger side. Most of the drivers side pan I pulled, while the pass side just needed a couple patches to get back to being solid. Got the new pans spotted and set to be welded. Once it’s welded it will be time for primer and Herculiner.

·
1991 XJ
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So things are welded up and primed. The plan is to Herculine the floor next, but with low temps and no heated shop, that’s on hold for right now. Got a jcr diy bumper for the front end and the 3” springs needed a bit of help. Got a set of rubicon express 4.5” coils and 3/4” spacers set up to get the front end where I want it.

·
1991 XJ
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys! Gotta address the rear suspension next, I’ve got a set of shackle relocation brackets and RE boomerang shackles to go in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts