Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
901 - 910 of 910 Posts

·
Low Range Drifter
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #901 ·
What I wrote on irate4x4. I don't think I need to modify the rig, but just take a different approach.

Takeaways in hindsight, we should have wheeled easy day 1 and got checked in and shaken down the rigs. That way we could have grabbed the key and been on the rocks as early as possible. We checked in and BS'd with staff and got instructions so we put first tire on Mammoth at 11am; which only left 5 hours before you should be off rocks and headed back.

The other thing would be to move to having spotters more quickly. I banged my way through junkyard and wasted time getting stuck, calling someone over, pulling cable to get unturtled, and then moving along. When whiterhino was outside helping to spot lines and adjust as it didn't work out, I made more progress later in the day than when treating it like the Rausch rock creek. I think 2 rigs spotting back and forth through sections would keep it moving. There's area you can just drive, but some it's pick your poison for what you have to get through.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,294 Posts
Great to hear the rig is working as planned. Do you feel not having a ton of seat time is a big factor as well? I know every time that I go out, I push it harder and harder as I learn more of the capabilities my rig has and to be less afraid lol.

You will notice John did not post a pic of my rig. Well that’s cuz it was already broke. 😢
What the heck happened now!? Hopefully not a trans issue this time.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #905 ·
I'm feeling pretty comfortable in the seat of the buggy. It's a lot lower COG than anything I've wheeled, so that helps a ton. As Jim said, it's just a tough trail and I don't think we took it seriously enough to be able to make it through.

I believe 2 single seaters have completed, one without winching and one winched. Both had dedicated spotters. So it ain't no joke. A 2-seater rock bouncer made it about 1/2 way and then cooked his transmission. I made it just short of the 1000' mark and drove off the trail, was just out of time for the day.

901 - 910 of 910 Posts