Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
861 - 880 of 910 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Oh yeah, right now I'm using 9" of steering ram without modifying steering stops. Before everything gets burned in I plan to slide the chassis forward and put on tires to check for crashes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Did you end up with 9" of stroke on your ram? Trying to figure out high steer arms for my +05 knuckles. JHF says you can get 38deg of steering on 8" of stroke with his arms but I'm trying to figure out how to verify that in CAD.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #864 · (Edited)
What is the engine combo exactly?
Setup is stock 2001 6.0 LQ4. It has a Dorman LS2 intake for hood clearance and 50lb injectors that fit that intake. Running stock truck cable throttle body.

Call it a hunch but I'm willing to bet 12 deg at idle is not high enough. You should get the engine up to temp, then move idle timing up 1 degree at a time. You'll be able to see the Map value shrink, then grow again. You want your idle timing set where the map value is the lowest(pulling the most vacuum). Then you want to know what map/rpm area you move to when coming off idle in the situation you mentioned. Make sure you don't have a big timing jump between idle and that specific area. When you get more into it you can look at using your inputs to create a custom table that subracts timing from the table above idle and you can flip that switch in that instance, cutting power down, keeping you from getting too much momentum out west. The system is very flexible with the user inputs so there are alot of things you can to for situational things.

Stock idle on a 6.0 is 16, my 6.0 is set to idle at 20 for reference. My chevelle is at 23 I believe.
(y)

·
Low Range Drifter
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #865 ·
Did you end up with 9" of stroke on your ram? Trying to figure out high steer arms for my +05 knuckles. JHF says you can get 38deg of steering on 8" of stroke with his arms but I'm trying to figure out how to verify that in CAD.
Yes, I'm using 9" of stroke touching stock steering stops. I don't know what degree I'm getting. I figured out what I needed by making a mockup tie rod, marking it at full turn then going full turn in the other direction and measuring differences between marker spots on the tie rod. I have a 10" ram, so one day I might tune that like my EFI... maybe.

861 - 880 of 910 Posts