Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
781 - 800 of 806 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,657 Posts
We did a little measuring. I have 42's, John has 39's so there is a little offset there. My roof, hood and seat are all 5" higher than John's. I am 112" wb, John is 109". So - pretty proportional but he definitely has a lower cog.

We both did good running 9-10 rated trails. Knarly stuff for sure.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #791 ·
Gold heat shield was not a miracle, but kept it tolerable. I never shot a heat gun at the panels, but I didn't feel like they radiated heat; but they were definitely warm.

I came home with a short list of fixes. I put them in a note on my phone so I wouldn't forget. Nothing major on the list.

I do have some finishing bits like outer skins for wheeling in wet/colder temps. A few tubes to add for support. That's on the wall of the shop. I'm sure I'll always have more ideas; but overall I'm pretty happy.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
So I was watching a youtube video, and heard another LS hiss at idle like my buggy does. I did a little research and apparently the WARR 92mm is known for this, and I may have to do some tuning to get rid of it. I have an el-cheapo refurb laptop on the way that I plan to use for tuning. Things I know need work are my fan on/off temps and now some IAC tuning.

If the shop isn't too uncomfortable this weekend, I hope to get the buggy up on the hoist and start looking for any unnoticed damage from the trip. I have a few things like protective boots for shutoff switch and some nylock nuts for some things that got loose that I can work on as well. Shop still needs a good cleaning, so may do that as well.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 ·
Played around with the buggy last night. My refurbished $200 laptop arrived this week and I previously picked up a programming cable for the Terminator EFI. I took the time to upgrade the firmware on Terminator, then played around with the online calibration tool. Changed my fan calibrations to 205 on / 195 off and 210 /195. I noticed during the trip that the fan couldn't pull the temp below 194* much, which looking online is the fully open temp for a stock F-body thermostat.

I couldn't find a rock solid concept on what fan temps should be, so I figured I'd be comfortable so long as the buggy runs below 210. I'll play around this weekend with it and see how it works. It would be nice to tool around without the fan running most of the time.

As for the $200 laptop, not shockingly the battery is crap. So now I need to find my power inverter if I want to drive around with the laptop. I don't have plans to drive with it offroad, but plan to take on trips if I need to make adjustments and maybe when I tool around the neighborhood.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,023 Posts
I bought a cheap laptop to run tuning and datalog duty. When I flopped it on test hill a few years ago, it fell out and oil from the engine/trans got all up inside it and it was dead. Do the holley units have an SD card for datalogging?

781 - 800 of 806 Posts