Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

641 - 655 of 655 Posts

·
Low Range Drifter
8,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
It's a little bigger than stock truck filter, it's 16x8 and common on GM stuff including 2001 Camaro with an LS1. At some point I will buy a K&N filter, and I'm trying to see if I can get a pre-filter for it. Should be easy enough to get a spare if needed while on the road in a jam. I still need to make a scoop for pulling in from hood cowl.

Last night I worked on a lower crossmember that I'm hoping to hang the steering valve and battery from. Will grab a pic as it turns into something.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,604 Posts
I used a cone filter and then bought an outerwears for it. I think they will make custom or even sell the material. Speedway, jeggs and summitt are probably some of the largest distributers...

·
Low Range Drifter
8,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
Last night I think I figured out the layout for the front of the buggy. I put a lower 1.5x0.120 DOM crossmember from shock mount to shock mount. The top of that tube is same height as the bottom of the winch plate. I think I am going to put down a plate of 1/8 steel from that crossmember up to the winch plate. I need to figure out how I will mount it to, but my hope is to make it removable for if/when the engine needs to come in or out. Also figure at some point I will dimple die it, which is why I will use 1/8 instead of 3/16.

On the driver's side, against the frame rail will sit the steering valve. I just ordered a 16" PSC heat sink cooler that will run in the "winch" opening on the grill. Between the cooler and water pump, the battery will sit with terminals facing forward. The battery fits under the air box, and with terminals facing forward, it gives them max clearance. The PSC cooler is short enough to give clearance to the terminals as well. I can fit the steering reservoir above the driver's frame rail and that should be protected and give an easy route to the pump.

Then on the pass side the trans cooler will fit. It will be off the grill by a few inches to give space for the headlights and power steering cooler. Since it has a fan, it should still be able to properly cool the trans and pull in fresh cool air. This also gives some room on the passenger side to get the coolant hoses headed to the back of the rig.

Now to make it all fit. Should take a few days. I also grabbed some steering shaft parts, and I think I can snake the shaft up to the wheel with 2 u-joints using this setup. Should work out well by keeping high amp (starter, winch, alt) near the battery, and all steering plumbing up front and not over my lap.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
I bought the piece as a sample with the intention of calling you if I liked it. Before I knew it I had done a piss poor job at it.

I will likely call you for the hood, and probably to properly do the gtill.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

641 - 655 of 655 Posts