Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

601 - 620 of 637 Posts

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #601
Good progress today. Exhaust is done up to muffler. This has been a job I was dreading for a while. I am happy I mad it this far.

Next up is to see if I can add a tail pipe. I have a few 3” mandrel bends and some straight pipe.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,055 Posts
Wrapping the front section may help with heat, just be sure to cover up any exposed skin... Fiberglass sucks

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wrapping the front section may help with heat, just be sure to cover up any exposed skin... Fiberglass sucks

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yup I wrapped my exhaust with a cheap kit off Amazon and it helped tremendously, but dam is that stuff nasty. You can shower and still itch like crazy. I’d definitely wrap it. Keep some heat off that tranny too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
I think I will run the exhaust down the outside of the frame rail. My current thought is to dump just in front of the rear axle with a turn down pointed to ground. That balances getting exhaust behind me for sound, and not having pipe in danger hanging low out back.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Main reason for pointing down is to help with noise, otherwise I would just shoot straight back.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Gotcha. Mine face down and it gets pretty dusty on dry days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,371 Posts
DNR told me the best way to reduce noise level at testing was to point in a direction that they couldn't get the meter to. No one is going to crawl under your rig to get the right position/angle.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #614
Another week, another pile of parts on order. I'm waiting on the yokes for the BKOR carrier bearing. No word yet on how long they will be backordered. Also grabbed a few misc axle seals I need to finish up axles. Just waiting on a friend to slow down on OT work to install gears & lockers.

I ordered a couple of 3" v-bands. The first will be installed at the rear of the muffler. The second will be at the turn down. If I'm riding somewhere where dust is a bigger issue than sound, I can loosen the v-band and spin the exhaust tip. Also ordered a muffler heat shield to help cool the passenger buns. I already have some header wrap, so once I have exhaust in place I will wrap the forward sections.

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
Another week, another pile of parts on order. I'm waiting on the yokes for the BKOR carrier bearing. No word yet on how long they will be backordered. Also grabbed a few misc axle seals I need to finish up axles. Just waiting on a friend to slow down on OT work to install gears & lockers.

I ordered a couple of 3" v-bands. The first will be installed at the rear of the muffler. The second will be at the turn down. If I'm riding somewhere where dust is a bigger issue than sound, I can loosen the v-band and spin the exhaust tip. Also ordered a muffler heat shield to help cool the passenger buns. I already have some header wrap, so once I have exhaust in place I will wrap the forward sections.
(y) This is a great idea!

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #618
What did you get for the heat shield? Pretty sure this is something I'm going to have to add as well.
I went mid-price. There was one that was $120 and another was $35. I went with the $70 version. I couldn't find any reviews that seemed rational. So I went with a name brand I've seen and I'm hoping for the best. Mostly, I don't want to melt my passenger (or their seat).

601 - 620 of 637 Posts