Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

581 - 600 of 637 Posts

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Been trying to sneak time out in the shop with a busy kid’s schedule. Intake is on, just need to install air temp sensor.

I am working on getting headers installed now. Modified the pass side to put an extension with o2 bung, and putting on v-band clamps.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
I think I got far enough along to see what I can fit for a muffler. Going with 3" in & out, 6" round. It's going to be an 18" long Magnaflow. We will see how much it knocks down the sound.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #584
Straight through and packed. From YouTube videos seemed to do the most of what I can fit. I’m not even 100% sure it will fit.

Drivers side coming up and over the trans. Carrier bearing is on order from Busted Knuckle, so I will need to verify this doesn’t dip too low.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had muffler fitment issues and I found the flowmaster Fx were pretty small and fit perfectly, I have two of between my gram and a 205 on my Yj with wiggle room. Sound good too I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
That'll keep your toes warm!
There's some space between the interior panel and the pipe, so hopefully not too bad. Might need to put something on the back of the tin.

The passenger seat will likely always be heated.

I had muffler fitment issues and I found the flowmaster Fx were pretty small and fit perfectly, I have two of between my gram and a 205 on my Yj with wiggle room. Sound good too I think
I noticed that is slightly smaller, so if the magnaflow is unworkable, I may go that route. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jonny - Thanks a lot for posting all this detail of your build. You are making me think about mine and how I can use some of your ideas on my build! Please keep it up!

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #589 (Edited)
Jonny - Thanks a lot for posting all this detail of your build. You are making me think about mine and how I can use some of your ideas on my build! Please keep it up!
Thanks!

Muffler showed up, snuck out to the shop and it should fit fine. I guess time will tell if it keeps the motor quiet enough on it's own to get into Holly Oaks.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,585 Posts
Muffler looks just like the one on my jEeP. It is behind a 5.3 and is fairly quiet until you stand on it, even then it is not horrible.

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
Blah.... This tiny little muffler isn't gonna do it then

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
What is that? A Flowmaster series 10? I would say no that will not cut it.... :ROFLMAO:

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,585 Posts
Glad to hear. I’m guessing you haven’t been flagged heading into the dunes?
No, I have not. And I would not expect a problem if I was. I really am happy with it. Quiet enough for an old guy, loud enough that people can hear me bouncing it off the rev limiter. lol

The rev limiter is my favorite sound. :)

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,808 Posts
love the progress! The exhaust is always something I dread. That's why I wanted to go twin turbos, make it simple! lol. My old mopar 360 before turbo would melt your shoes while at silver lake because the exhaust ran close to the floor. Was great when it was cold out as I did not have a heater.

Loving the tabs with nutserts. I have always welded a nut on the back. What tool are you using?

·
Low Range Drifter
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #599
Goatbuilt sent a few sheets of the nutserts with the chassis. I like them on flat surfaces, but they are a PITA on tube because they are so small.

I am figuring I will need some form of heat shield between the muffler and seat. I need to start looking through and seeing what is out there. I see lots of different things on various car shows.

No, I have not. And I would not expect a problem if I was. I really am happy with it. Quiet enough for an old guy, loud enough that people can hear me bouncing it off the rev limiter. lol

The rev limiter is my favorite sound. :)
Sweet. That's where I am at, too.

581 - 600 of 637 Posts