Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

561 - 580 of 580 Posts

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,995 Posts
She looks great. I had good luck painting the valve covers if you're feeling extra flashy.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Low Range Drifter
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
I did not with this paint. After the big cleaning, I wire wheeled everything I could, gave it an acetone bath, wipe down, acetone bath, wait for it to evaporate and then spray bombed it. I didn't see any engine/high heat primer when I grabbed the paint so I went direct.

I normally use self-etch primer on most parts and then cover with rustoleum satin black.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
DANNG! good to see it on all 4s. I used the dollar store oven cleaner on the valve covers and it's amazing how well that works. What color do you plan to paint the chassis? Or powdercoat?

·
Low Range Drifter
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
High probability it will be semi gloss black for easy touch ups.

Trans and t-case glued together. Have governor and trans oil pan gasket on order. Trans mount is painted. Stock steel pan goes on when gasket gets here.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
I just bought a bunch of little parts to hopefully button up the motor. Still need to grab a new oil dipstick tube from the dealer; but that can wait since they are a pita to work with when pulling headers on and off. I went to order the WOD 1350 carrier shaft and it's out of stock. I have to call and see if it's short term or if I have to go with the Busted Knuckle setup for more money.

Looks good John. I'm still set on mounting the orbital up front.
I'm not opposed to that. Spent a little time staring out what I can fit up front. It's gonna be packed tight.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Great progress!! I have WOD 1410 carrier bearing...serious BEEF!!!! Super amazing guys to deal with on the phone. I'll be calling them myself for some 7075 steering ram links.

I unfortunately put my oil dipstick in... and yeah its a pain to work around. You are smart for waiting!! Love how low your intake sits.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
Last night I made some brackets to hold down the fuel rails. I was hoping I could tap the bosses on the intake, but the holes are molded a little too big and the threads wouldn't hold. So now I'm waiting on some thread inserts from Mcmaster. I thought about just bumping up to next bolt size, but figure at some point the plastic will just keep pulling threads and hopefully the inserts will be better solution. I've got a pile of stupid little parts in transit that I need to finalize bolting on the intake.

I was mocking up a cross bar between shocks. I have some 1" DOM and 1.5" DOM. For whatever reason, I feel like 1.25 would be the right size. I can sneak a cross bar above the alternator and possible use it as support for hood. Also looking at where to put PS reservoir. I think I can hide it in front of my shock tower so when I look out over the hood, I only have shock towers in my line of sight.

I'm thinking I might need to get the hood and grill fit so that I don't put a cooler where a headlight needs to go.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
Possible home for power steering reservoir. Kind of a dead place in the chassis. Makes the suction hoses about 7” long, which would be about the same as if I put the reservoir in front of the pump.

with this location I would have one 45 off the pump and a straight fitting out of the reservoir. In front I would need a 120* fitting at the pump and possibly another curved fitting depending on where I hide the reservoir.

561 - 580 of 580 Posts