Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

541 - 560 of 582 Posts

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,013 Posts
Just to give you some results, this was mine after oven cleaner degreasing and some POR15

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Low Range Drifter
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
Wow, that turned out great. I'm feeling more optimistic that painting it won't be a waste of time.

My short term plan is to have the drivetrain "ready to run" when it goes in. I know at some point I have to strip down the chassis for paint, but if I decide I want to build it out before doing that, I don't want to have to pull it apart just to do something that takes 5 minutes now. I know I'll forget something and pimp myself, but that's life.

Over the next few days I'm hoping to paint the iron block, pull the rear cover and replace the oil pressure barbell, rear main seal, and rear cover gasket. I need to pull the oil pan and put on a fresh gasket and seal the oil pan. I'll wait to do the front seal until I do a cam swap. I need to verify the flex plate matches my torque converter, too.

@Tom rebuilt my TH400 a few years back when I was optimistic about my finish date. It's been bagged in a corner waiting on me. From memory, I need to reinstall the shifter rooster comb, plug speedo hole, and swap the stock pan on instead of the chrome leaker, and trim the output shaft for the Atlas adapter combo. I guess when I unbag it we will see if I'm forgetting anything.

I think the Atlas is good to go besides gooping it up and bolting it to the trans.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,013 Posts
Johnny, I've got a couple of LS floor stand mounts that'll come in handy when you go to run it. We were successful in hooking mine up and running the full drive train on the floor prior to dropping it in. They're the red stands in this picture.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #546
I pulled the motor out of the donor, so I ripped it up and down the road a handful of times before removing it. I have the drivetrain mounts all ready to go, so not sure I want to temp wire & plumb it out of the vehicle. Next time it runs, I'm hoping to have all the support systems there. Hopefully that's well before August.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,279 Posts
I pulled the motor out of the donor, so I ripped it up and down the road a handful of times before removing it. I have the drivetrain mounts all ready to go, so not sure I want to temp wire & plumb it out of the vehicle. Next time it runs, I'm hoping to have all the support systems there. Hopefully that's well before August.
Ahem - it better be!

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,013 Posts
They'll run for a minute or two without coolant, or my personal favorite the garden house start

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,564 Posts
Good to see this got moved back to the front of the shop!!

·
Low Range Drifter
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
I spun the motor over and threw on the stock pan for cleaning. I unloaded one can of $1 store oven cleaner on it and let her eat. Watched a little 4400 power hour and then rinsed it off using a steam cleaner.
I’m going to let it dry overnight, and hopefully mask and paint tomorrow. Not sure if I want to hit the front cover or leave natural.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,013 Posts
Shit works didn't it? Lol

Are you running an aftermarket pan or the stock truck pan? I have seen both in your pictures.

·
Gustafson
9,640 Posts
Shit works didn't it? Lol

Are you running an aftermarket pan or the stock truck pan? I have seen both in your pictures.

I'm thinking aftermarket because he said he threw on a stock pan for cleaning? IDK for sure though.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
I put the stock pan on for cleaning and painting. I figure it will save me time in prep because I don't care if I get overspray on it. I had to pull the other pan to add some RTV to the corners anyway, so I went this route.

The other pan is shorter and has trap doors for oil control, so I will definitely run that one in the buggy.

Yeah, it worked well. I hate cleaning. I'm ready to move on.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

541 - 560 of 582 Posts