Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Do it like you mean it
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body have any experience with Johnny joints or rebuildable heims? Curious how well they hold up to all around wheeling that includes alot of mud and dirt. Have ridden in rigs with regular heims and the squeeking was intolerable. Any input or opinions are appreciated.

·
5,820 Posts
both styles, no complaints on either ones. I have all JJ's on my rig and my dad has the PORC flex joints made by summit machine.

it is difficult to get grease back into them but its not that big of a deal, they creak a litle once they get dry but that is about it.

·
Do it like you mean it
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using the greasable bolt or the fitting on the housing? I am concerned with strength issues on a greasable bolt.

5,476 Posts
JJ's have the drilled bolt, im not fond of it but I havent had any fail (yet)

my dads truck (summit machine joints) has the grease zerk in the body

Alumcj has broken a drilled 9/16" JJ bolt so it is possible.

i think Johnny Joints have changed. my johnny joints that are a less then a month old have the zerk fitting machined into the joint itself not the bolt like I am use to seeing.

·
5,820 Posts
i think Johnny Joints have changed. my johnny joints that are a less then a month old have the zerk fitting machined into the joint itself not the bolt like I am use to seeing.
I thnk they did that with the forged body ones because the bolt was breaking off the body on the welded ones. Im not sure about the new stand alone joints, mine are 3 years old.

·
Grant
217 Posts
I have had JJs on the rear suspension of my Jeep for 2-3 years now with no issues. Mine have the grease zerk in the bolt. I agree with you, the noise of the heims drove me crazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts