Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think? My new JK has a 3" BDS lift which they say can accomodate up to 35" tires. However, I talked with BDS today and they said they think 33s would be better with the V6 engine. I do have an automatic which means I have 4.10 gears.

PS. My wife does NOT want to have to climb up too much into the Jeep and this is my daily driver.

I cannot find a pic online of the 33's, but here is a pic of one with BDS 3" lift and 35s.

·
Registered
390 Posts
That motor should be able to turn 35's very easily with stock gearing.

You have gobs more horsepower then even the I6 in TJ's..

I plan on running 35's eventually without regearing my TJ, and I have the 4 cylinder.. Sure I wont be able to go over 60mph, and its gonna be slow to get up to speed.. but still..

You will be completely fine turning 35's.

-Brandon

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
I have to agree on speed, they are all kinda slow to get up to speed with bigger tires. I had one at work with stock rubi chassie and it took forever to hit fuel shut off at wot (around 105) but seriously the rig should be fine with either tire. I was watching superlift adventures and they tried out 37s and it broke loads of parts, but that guy was a total rookie in that rig.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I would worry more about turning clearance with 35's than the diameter. I had spring spacers on my 03 Rubi and ran the metric 33's to keep from rubbing at full turn.

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Ask Chris Rogers on this site, he's running 35s on his, but he has I think the 3.xx gears (what are they, 3.31?)...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I would go with a short 35", I imagine you will want to regear down the road anyway.

Fwiw, I'm running 32's and 4.10's on a 4.0 5spd YJ and I feel like I might need switch to 4.56's one day. My YJ is over 1000 pounds lighter than the JK and almost a wash in the hp department.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts

I plan on running 35's eventually without regearing my TJ, and I have the 4 cylinder.. Sure I wont be able to go over 60mph, and its gonna be slow to get up to speed.. but still..

-Brandon

IMO stay with the 33's only based on my driving experience in a 2 door JK. Damn thing was a turd.

Astrogiblet you do realize that the HP to WEIGHT ratio is LESS then a TJ. I drove one, as far as useable power they fall between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl... and I am sure it is worse for a 4 door.

After driving the JK I drove I won't even consider one until they up the power on them.

I would be afraid that with 35's it won't be able to get out of it's own way which is a requirement of a DD. They are bad enough stock.

·
Registered
390 Posts
IMO stay with the 33's only based on my driving experience in a 2 door JK. Damn thing was a turd.

Astrogiblet you do realize that the HP to WEIGHT ratio is LESS then a TJ. I drove one, as far as useable power they fall between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl... and I am sure it is worse for a 4 door.

After driving the JK I drove I won't even consider one until they up the power on them.

I would be afraid that with 35's it won't be able to get out of it's own way which is a requirement of a DD. They are bad enough stock.

I thought I've run the numbers before and they came out better for the JKs then the TJs, but I could be wrong.

The JK's have the same motor our minivan does, and that motor feels pretty damn powerful in the van.. I can't imagine the Jeep being that much heavier?

-Brandon

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
my friend(jgingell02 on here) has a 4-door JK with a teraflex 2.5" BB(just poly spacers and new shocks) on 34" trXus with 4.10 gears and it's fine on and off road.

I'd go 35's if I were you.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a nice JK you have on the BDS site angbri.

I decided to stick with 33s. I was afraid the V6 was going to have problems getting me to work with the 35s and I can never have enough room in the wheel wells to tuck. Of coarse the flat tube fenders I'm going to design should take care of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. My JK is also my daily driver. I have no issues with the set up at all. When it comes to power..you cant expect too much out of a "short bus" :sonicjay: .(It was nicknamed "short-bus" by a fellow jeeper, I like that reference better than mini-van) Off road..she does better than expected. Plenty of clearance, no rubbing at all. Its been suggested to me to put 37"s on it. I really like the look, and I have another set of wheels. (black 17", alloys) Thinks of putting 37"s on those, see how it handles.

·
825 Posts
I'm running 285x75x16's (33's) on my Unlimited JK on the stock rims & at full tight turns I rub just a touch. I've got a BDS 2" spacer lift on it. My wife & kid complaine about not be able to get in & out of it so I think sticking with the 33's was a good idea.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts

-Brandon
HP dosen't get you moving torque does and where it's at in the power band.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
Jeff, the real question here is, what kind of wheeling (if any) are you going to do with this thing? :d: Just get real about it man. I'm still rolling on 35's with room and power for 38's. But I wish I was on 33's, honestly.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shut up Shawn. No more Jeep advice from you until you take a job down here in St. Louis. :sonicjay:

BTW, if you read above you'll see I ordered the 33's. Ended up ordering the Mickey Thompson MTZs on ProComp mickey thompson-look-a-like-Classic-ring-lock rims since the MT rims were backordered. I just hope spinners fit on the rims with those fake beadlocks in place.

·
Registered
126 Posts
35s for sure... I have the auto w/4.10s. it is not as bad to drive as some may say. I will regear eventually though when money allows. As for the step in to it for the wife it isn't that much, plus if it does turn out she needs a boost to get in it gives a good reason for nice pair of slider!

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
I just hope spinners fit on the rims with those fake beadlocks in place.

:sonicjay: Yea I dunno man, it might be a tight fit! :bdr2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts