Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a TJ and will probably be either getting a used TJ or a new 2-door JK next year. My buddy just picked up a JK (2-door) with an auto and complains that it's really slow. It's his first Jeep though, so I'm not sure if he's comparing it to previous cars he's owned. Also my TJ was a manual so I'm not sure how much his being an auto plays into it.

I was curious if anyone here went from a TJ to a JK (or better yet owns both) can comment on how the motors compare to each other.

Thanks!

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Keep in mind, its not necessarily just the motor, its that the JKs are in the neighborhood of 600-1000+ lbs heavier than TJs with roughly the same HP/Tq.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I used to have a TJ and will probably be either getting a used TJ or a new 2-door JK next year. My buddy just picked up a JK (2-door) with an auto and complains that it's really slow. It's his first Jeep though, so I'm not sure if he's comparing it to previous cars he's owned. Also my TJ was a manual so I'm not sure how much his being an auto plays into it.

I was curious if anyone here went from a TJ to a JK (or better yet owns both) can comment on how the motors compare to each other.

Thanks!
I've never had a TJ my JK is the first jeep, I said the same thing but like you said I was comparing it to previous cars I've owned. I did add a few aftermarket parts for a small fraction of what I paid for it and it made a big difference. I've had people in it that own TJ's and they've said it's impressive I know that doesn't really answer your question but hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
yes a manual will also feel and be faster than a auto. when my wifes TJ (manual) and my XJ (auto) were stock, she would always beat me in a race.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am considering a JK also as the next family truckster, and I hear they are working on a diesel version - in fact I saw one with M plates in Farmington this past August. I am going to be patient and wait for the diesel. Not sure if this will be a Mercedes or Cummins though. Chrysler and Cummins are going forward with a v6 and v8 diesel - for more details check out www.dieselpowermag.com - dec 2006 issue - impressive.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
the 3.8 l and 4.0l have similar power output. the 3.8l makes it power alot higher in the rpm range. not the low end torque of a 4.0l. and the jk is heavier. automatics are dogs with either motor.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The new 3.8 v6 is supposed to get a lot better around 5000 miles. It has a break in period where the computer "learns" your driving style and is reported to feel more powerful after.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I am considering a JK also as the next family truckster, and I hear they are working on a diesel version - in fact I saw one with M plates in Farmington this past August. I am going to be patient and wait for the diesel. Not sure if this will be a Mercedes or Cummins though. Chrysler and Cummins are going forward with a v6 and v8 diesel - for more details check out www.dieselpowermag.com - dec 2006 issue - impressive.
You might be waiting a while. From what others have posted about, there have been various diesel jeeps running around for a while now...none being for the US market.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might be waiting a while. From what others have posted about, there have been various diesel jeeps running around for a while now...none being for the US market.
Tell that to the Liberty CRD guys.

But back to the subject, I'm surprised no one here who either owns a JK and a TJ, or someone who sold a TJ for a JK has commented. I guess I'm going to have to get off the couch and go test drive one.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I would prefer a manual TJ out of the two choices, but fwiw I have drove a TON of JK's and the small tired, 2 door autos, are by far the quickest of the bunch. It probably is a combo of trans gearing and torque convertor, and weight, that makes them more lively.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts