Discussion Starter #1
#misfitsoffroad

This thing is where its at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is badass. Love vintage wooden boats. What engine is in it?

60hp Greymarine. Cyl 4 is low on compression, but she fires right up and is always happy to putt down the river. I never thought I would have so much fun going so slow on the water.

The lake was pretty flat though on Sunday so we ran her up to 2000rpm’s and let her eat.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
Love it. How big? Age?
Did you travel out of state to pick it up? Mind sharing a budgetary cost?

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
Woodies are a labor of love, thats for sure.

Yes I know. My uncle had one for years.

I just meant I love boats in general. Been a boater my whole life.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
We sold our tournament ski boat last fall. We have been talking about the possibility of an old woodie.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
The last wooden boat show was at had a couple of vintage Hackers that had modern V8 power plants. They were very much bad ass boats.
It’s a big enough job keeping up on a fiberglass boat, a woody would be like having a kid.

“Hops And Props” wooden boat show is on September 21st in Manistee

·
Hang all the thieves
1,669 Posts
We sold our tournament ski boat last fall. We have been talking about the possibility of an old woodie.
He said "old woodie" :teehee:

Not a boat person myself, but always loved the look of the vintage runabouts. There's a posting for a Century Resorter down where I work which is tempting, but the only thing I know about boats, is the old wooden ones are even more work and money than the new ones.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love it. How big? Age?
Did you travel out of state to pick it up? Mind sharing a budgetary cost?

Its a 1954 Lyman Islander 18. It belongs to my fiancees cousin who lives in Florida, but keeps it in Michigan. He purchased it in Ohio and had it trucked in. I think all in he has less than $15k into it. Its heading south this fall though so he can spend some time tinkering on her this winter.

All my life all I have wanted to do is hammer down and make some noise. On this, she sounds like a tractor and barely breaks 10 knots and I love it!

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I know. My uncle had one for years.

I just meant I love boats in general. Been a boater my whole life.

My love for playing with 4x4’s is only trumped by being on the water. My old man introduced me to boats somewhere around 5 and I raced laser sail boats for about 5 years of my youth.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
My love for playing with 4x4’s is only trumped by being on the water. My old man introduced me to boats somewhere around 5 and I raced laser sail boats for about 5 years of my youth.

I'm similar. The only thing I love more than being outside / in the woods / up north is being on the water. :woot:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
Its a 1954 Lyman Islander 18. It belongs to my fiancees cousin who lives in Florida, but keeps it in Michigan. He purchased it in Ohio and had it trucked in. I think all in he has less than $15k into it. Its heading south this fall though so he can spend some time tinkering on her this winter.

All my life all I have wanted to do is hammer down and make some noise. On this, she sounds like a tractor and barely breaks 10 knots and I love it!

Sounds perfect.

I've had the good fortune to grow up on a lake and then live on a lake most of my adult life. You either hate it or love it ~ I love it. My brother has been racing sailboats of all types for over 40 years. It's not my cupotea but I have had several sail boats for pleasure. Now we have a pontoon boat and a small fishing boat but if the right woodie came along, ................. hmmmm... :teehee:

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had the good fortune to grow up on a lake and then live on a lake most of my adult life. You either hate it or love it ~ I love it. My brother has been racing sailboats of all types for over 40 years. It's not my cupotea but I have had several sail boats for pleasure. Now we have a pontoon boat and a small fishing boat but if the right woodie came along, ................. hmmmm... :teehee:

The way he operates, this one will probably hit the market next year. It will probably be in the Tampa area though.

Getting used to the side steer has been a trick and I have learned a lot about the tendencies of a single screw. I love the challenges of it, and it makes me look like a seasoned captain when I jump into something with and i/o or an outboard.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
The way he operates, this one will probably hit the market next year. It will probably be in the Tampa area though.

Getting used to the side steer has been a trick and I have learned a lot about the tendencies of a single screw. I love the challenges of it, and it makes me look like a seasoned captain when I jump into something with and i/o or an outboard.

What do you mean? What type of boat have you piloted in the past? Strictly twin engine center consoles? :sonicjay:

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you mean? What type of boat have you piloted in the past? Strictly twin engine center consoles? :sonicjay:

Inboards handle way differently (mostly while reversing) than i/o’s and outboards. Unfortunately I haven’t had an opportunity to operate anything over 25ft other than a 38ft scarab a couple times about 13 years ago.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts

“It is more fun to drive a slow boat fast than drive a fast boat slow”

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
“It is more fun to drive a slow boat fast than drive a fast boat slow”
I dont think I have had my four winns liberator past 30 mph all summer and it's a 50 + mph boat haha. And I still have lots of fun!

Although given the choice I would hold the throttle wide open way more, preggo wife though has a different opinion

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
Inboards handle way differently (mostly while reversing) than i/o’s and outboards. Unfortunately I haven’t had an opportunity to operate anything over 25ft other than a 38ft scarab a couple times about 13 years ago.

Yep, I agree with that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts