Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... If you can believe it I think I found a keeper. My hope is that this is my "mid life crisis" and really all that means is one tons, but we will see.

This had a lot of criteria that I was after - LJ, Auto, 1000% spotless rust free, not khaki color, but it isn't a Rubi. Which I suppose isnt a big deal if I am talking about putting tons under it, and I have a spare Rubi T-case anyway..

I honestly don't love the color, but it's much better than khaki. yuck. Really I wanted Silver to be a single white female version of @CheapThrillB2 and @Tacker (who turns out to be a quitter! :)) and @parkfan. But alas.

So anyway, this has 125k miles, runs and drives great, has one of those fancy bolt in Smittybilt cages, and came out of Texas.

So far I have the bumpers for sale, Side steps, Wheels/tires, and axles. We will see what shakes loose.

One tons: So I am really on the fence about them. I can secure a set of 99-04 SD60 and 10.5 for 4.30's for $500, or I can go 05+ SD60 and a 11+ 10.5 with the factory electric locker but 3.73's for about $1500. General consensus is to go with the newer style but this is probably going to be a tight budget build. I guess I know what I need to do but could do a lot with that extra $1000.

Anywho, Ill leave you with pictures for now.

Attachments

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
I just checked car-part.com and there is a 05+SD60 with 4.30's in Indiana for $600 so the rear axle CTB2 found and that is $1350ish geared 4.30 with elocker rear.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Are you really going to need the extra strength of the 05+ stuff? They are no doubt going to be stronger but the 99-04 stuff is still strong and can be built to handle a lot. I used a 99-04 dana 60 to build a front 9" and I'm not worried about the axle being strong enough. My jeep will probably never see bigger than a 37" tire and even with high horsepower I'll be able to throw some RCV's and 35 spline lockouts in it and not worry about breaking.

There were 2 main reasons I went with the 99-04 dana 60 rather than the 05+. Price and width. I got the dana 60 complete for $200. The 99-04 is quite a bit narrower than the 05, to the point that if I used an 05 I wouldn't fit in my dads enclosed trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:sonicjay:

Congratulations, Looks like a nice find!
:) Thanks bro! Miss ya man!

I just checked car-part.com and there is a 05+SD60 with 4.30's in Indiana for $600 so the rear axle CTB2 found and that is $1350ish geared 4.30 with elocker rear.
Thanks for the info. Basically another $850 for the locker. Reasonable enough - Just gotta add my pros and cons.

Nice find. I think you will be done before @Tacker. :teehee:
If I am not mistaken Jim, he sold it all off.

Are you really going to need the extra strength of the 05+ stuff? They are no doubt going to be stronger but the 99-04 stuff is still strong and can be built to handle a lot. I used a 99-04 dana 60 to build a front 9" and I'm not worried about the axle being strong enough. My jeep will probably never see bigger than a 37" tire and even with high horsepower I'll be able to throw some RCV's and 35 spline lockouts in it and not worry about breaking.

There were 2 main reasons I went with the 99-04 dana 60 rather than the 05+. Price and width. I got the dana 60 complete for $200. The 99-04 is quite a bit narrower than the 05, to the point that if I used an 05 I wouldn't fit in my dads enclosed trailer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hey Ryan, thanks for the info. Will I need the extra strength? No. The rear has a limited slip, and I thought about just adding a lunch box to the front and calling it a day. Here is what will likely cause an uproar - I really hadn't planned on running anything bigger than a 37, and I won't be doing any serious wheeling...

I'll let y'all catch your breath for a second..

The big question is why bother? It's just what I've really been wanting to do. If you look at what it would take to make a D30 OR purchase a D44 front THEN make it capable of handing 37's, I think the cost is greater. My opinion is if I have $500 bucks in a set of these axles, roughly 800ish on bracketry and they're mostly* bolt in. I'd argue that with light wheeling and trips to the ice cream stand, they will do just fine.

Anywho, the other thing I have going on is this: I already posess Currie steering and antirock, 2" RK coils, Bilstein shocks, front track bar. Really im in a set of control arms yet and too Ill high line, but im in 35's like that, with a pretty beefy setup.

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan to wheel it, but nothing hardcore like you fellows.

I have life altering job offer with relocation on the table that is getting worked out currently, if that goes on, putting axles under this deal would probably have to wait. We'll see.

Otherwise, the other night my son and I removed the bumpers and pulled out the rear fender liners and flares. Found a little bit of ick, but Im ok with it.

Attachments

·
Where's your loyalty lie?
7,764 Posts
I’ve got a parts LJ you can buy with tons, 40s, Cage, sliders... etc.:naughty::naughty::naughty:

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve got a parts LJ you can buy with tons, 40s, Cage, sliders... etc.:naughty::naughty::naughty:
If you’re serious shoot me a price. I 99% predict I can’t afford it but curious nonetheless.

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, have the bumpers, fenders, and side steps stripped off and sold. Cleaned up some of the insurance markings and here we are to date.

Ordered PSC Highlines about an hour or so ago so I'd have something to do while we're quarantined. :naughty:

Looking for Adjustable control arms - all 8, looking for a drop down tailgate - Rokmen, Poison Spyder, or a clean CJ gate.

Attachments

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose it could be worse, I still have a job - some people arent that lucky. Well I got hit with a 25% pay reduction for the month of April, so that will change the build a bit.. :( But I am working from home for a while, but im actually working and its driving me mad not being out working on it. :9

Nevertheless I got the PSC highlines yesterday and I cleaned it up a bit, and today so far I had these 97-02 plastic windshield things installed in place of the missing 03-06 version. (I imagine nobody was good with a dremel and didnt bother hacking them up for the cage)

I am dying to buy more parts but kinda just waiting to see what happens here with work.

Attachments

·
Gustafson
9,181 Posts
I suppose it could be worse, I still have a job - some people arent that lucky. Well I got hit with a 25% pay reduction for the month of April, so that will change the build a bit.. :( But I am working from home for a while, but im actually working and its driving me mad not being out working on it. :9

Nevertheless I got the PSC highlines yesterday and I cleaned it up a bit, and today so far I had these 97-02 plastic windshield things installed in place of the missing 03-06 version. (I imagine nobody was good with a dremel and didnt bother hacking them up for the cage)

I am dying to buy more parts but kinda just waiting to see what happens here with work.
I understand that.

I look forward to seeing your progress on old "midlife crisis" :d:

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
I love that color, nice find! I couldn't handle having an automatic, but otherwise I'd rock the hell out of that thing. Sounds like you've got a nice build planned.

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys! Sean will you please post a picture of yours for some motivation?

Otherwise, the weather has been poopy. I lost my garage for a while as we have goats for 4h and they are just babies so I had to make a pen in the garage... So any work happens outside.

I am working from home for the zombie virus and its just killing me not being outside doing stuff and things.

Anywho, I threw one of the fenders in between rain sessions.

I am looking for the following parts!!

Adjustable control arms - mostly uppers as this point.
Rear adjustable track bar
Front adjustable track bar - I have an RE1600 I can use but im not sold on it.
1" BL - if anyone has any solid aluminum left over from links - I could use that - I only need 11"
1" MML
SEATS and seat brackets. They are decent but they dont act right.

Oh I threw up a couple of the last LJ I built for my own motivation. It was 35's on a 1" BL with standard height defenders - I really needed high lines on that one..

All for now.

Attachments

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well MEOW!!

I am kind upset with myself I didnt get Sinister fenders this time around. Really wanted them and to support Jason, but ugh if the travel ban was on. I ordered the PSC's in my underwear and they showed up whilst still in my underwear, so :usa:

Thanks for the pic Teddy Broski!

·
Got rocks?
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dear friends,

While yes, I’ve done it a bunch of times but I’m willing to admit I’ve never done it correctly...

Getting ready to cut the hood. I think I have 3.25” at the back and 2.5ish at the front. Should I just run a piece of string from one point to the other and cut along that line? I’ve always used a tool like a sharpie with a coat hanger taped to it but I always hack it..

Yours truely,

Derek

Attachments

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,889 Posts
Get yourself a laser level, level the body to the laser so that the front and back of the fender line up to the laser. Remove fender, close hood and then the laser provides you that perfect line of where the fender was.

Then get some edging to really clean it up nice. It worked perfectly for me. If you want to give me a call I can talk you through it more thoroughly but I think you get the idea.

This is the best one I have that shows the fenders.
Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
View attachment 265130

1 - 20 of 118 Posts