Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Cup holders & Rollbars
601 Posts
Go to Facebook. Go to the Rock Buggies group. Search RCV. There is a post by me dated October 8, 2018. There are 154 comments. Make your own judgement.
Just read this.
I got a little depressed and started second guessing myself. In the end it seemed 50/50. I do agree that it would suck if you needed to pull an axle out in some remote area.

·
Got rocks?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I honestly forgot how quickly things would escalate here! :)

Anywho, nothing really to speak of happening, cut more out of the rear springs so it sat lower. Waiting for the title to come back on my flipper, but just need to change a fender, swap out the front axle(temp one in there), install the flares and send it. Well I think I am going to lower it back down to stock - rides like a lumber wagon.

I can't sell the tops off the LJ to save my life. Guess I missed the bubble. :(

Attachments

·
Gustafson
10,463 Posts
Well, they are getting older. There are probably a lot less people out there looking for tops at this point.... I know you don't want to (I wouldn't either) but it might be time to start rebuilding JKs.....

·
Got rocks?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, they are getting older. There are probably a lot less people out there looking for tops at this point.... I know you don't want to (I wouldn't either) but it might be time to start rebuilding JKs.....
Well.. Those are fun too. Get one with a bad front axle and you're paying BIG money to find/replace one because they snap like toothpicks so everybody and their sister are buying them. And the whole front clip situation kinda sucks to fix. I did one in early 2021 that turned out decent - thankfully I found a NC front axle from a guy off a forum for $250 so it worked out really well.. My kids called it POOPon cuz its kinda the color of that fancy mustard - but the color does grow on you.

EDIT. As far as the top though, could be. I can tell you though I am having no issues selling TJ's like hotcakes. Though - have to admit my wife is right - they sell stock a whole lot faster than when they're modified.. (I like to modify)

Attachments

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,961 Posts
Just read this.
I got a little depressed and started second guessing myself. In the end it seemed 50/50. I do agree that it would suck if you needed to pull an axle out in some remote area.
Yep, it was an interesting discussion. As you can see, I was 100% in to go RCV. But after the comments, it didn't seem like it was worth the money when I was already invested in Alloy shafts and Super Joints. I can honestly see where the smooth reaction on tight turns makes the RCV's desirable. I agree, it seems 50/50.

·
Got rocks?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hardtop sold finally - nasty old soft top to keep the rains out. A little shameless plug for Marked Designs on that pimp front bumper. Pics for proof of my Dana 90 front axle.

Honestly I was kinda chilling on spending any money - thought I might have a tax situation - thanks Crypto, but that is all good so ima start ordering some stuff now. :)

Attachments

·
Got rocks?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Whelp... My how things change. We went on spring break to Alabama - I was going to be at work for 1 day then fly out to Moab the next morning for EJS. Had a meeting first thing that morning to let me know that my position was going to be moved to Mexico and I should leave immediately. OH and NOT go on the trip to Moab..

So no EJS trip and no job.. Good times.

No updates on the Jeep per se. Ordered that $160 maxspeeding rods fake Antirock - It's literally the first version of Curries arms. Will see how it does:

Building lowers with fixed joints on one end and Johnny's on the other. Front uppers built. Bought some rear uppers - used Metalcloaks for a great deal. Removed the 2" Pro Comp springs and Rubicon Express Monotubes(Bilsteins) from my flipper Jeep so just about have everything to do the lift. Also have a 1" Marked Designs aluminum body lift and a 1" JKS MML.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,478 Posts
Whelp... My how things change. We went on spring break to Alabama - I was going to be at work for 1 day then fly out to Moab the next morning for EJS. Had a meeting first thing that morning to let me know that my position was going to be moved to Mexico and I should leave immediately. OH and NOT go on the trip to Moab..

So no EJS trip and no job.. Good times.

No updates on the Jeep per se. Ordered that $160 maxspeeding rods fake Antirock - It's literally the first version of Curries arms. Will see how it does:

Building lowers with fixed joints on one end and Johnny's on the other. Front uppers built. Bought some rear uppers - used Metalcloaks for a great deal. Removed the 2" Pro Comp springs and Rubicon Express Monotubes(Bilsteins) from my flipper Jeep so just about have everything to do the lift. Also have a 1" Marked Designs aluminum body lift and a 1" JKS MML.
Sorry to hear about your hard times. Curious how that sway bar works, if it's even remotely good it's worth it as the currie ones are stupid expensive

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,896 Posts
Seems odd, as I recall, you worked in the refrigerator business (Dominik or??). Seems like that business would be doing well.

Sorry to hear.

·
Gustafson
10,463 Posts
Seems odd, as I recall, you worked in the refrigerator business (Dominik or??). Seems like that business would be doing well.

Sorry to hear.
Yeah, for the travel trailer industry if I'm not mistaken. I agree, I would have thought business would be going well.

·
Got rocks?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey guys thanks for the kind words! Yes, I am an IT Manager and worked for Dometic yes. Business is good it was just that they moved the last bit of production to Mexico for cheaper labor. I guess whoever had a heart to heart with the good idea fairy knows something more than everyone else. There are still about 1000 users in the US that IT is responsible for…. But I digress.

I have a couple irons in the fire - I’d love to not be in RV’s ( funny being in the RV capital of the world), but man it’s up and down.

I’d move! You guys need any “good” IT guys? :)

·
Got rocks?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Oh guys and here are some pics of that sway bar. You can tell the joints arent as good, the threaded rod is different/cheap looking. Hey though, I am willing to give it a try... Likely will swap out the hardware with some grade 5 stuff. I was SUPER impressed with the packaging - wow it was packed really nice!

Table Musical instrument Wood Rectangle Tool

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,896 Posts
Should not be hard to find work as an IT guy. Growing field for shore. We are trying to prepare ($$$) for the upcoming government cyber security nist requirements that are on there way....

Swaybar looks good, nice find.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts