Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
Jana44 as in what gearset in what axle? 44 in a 30? You mentioned Rubi axles so that should already be a D44. Or are you talking about the Jana K4 putting JK gears into an older 44? (I thought all 44 gearsets were the same but I guess not) If you put good alloy axle shafts and Yukon Super Joints in a 44, I wouldn't hesitate to run 37's. Also with a Rubi 4:1 transfer case and 5.13's, 35's are too short. You will be geared too low in low range and won't be able to generate wheel speed.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
I've seen you wheel, I don't doubt you've never broken one. Rock bouncers run RCV's, RCV's are BETTER. Just admit that you don't have the best shit for a change. I can do cross sectional area calculations the same as you so don't even start :sonicjay:
I never said I have the best shit. I said I have never broken a super joint (nor do I know anyone who has), rock crawlers don't like them and I can't see the justification for them. That. is. what. I. said.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
Other than price what is their issue with RCV's?
I broke an axle shaft a few years ago and yes, @feva4u was there. I was ready to pull the trigger on a set RCV's. The question was 4340 or 300m. After discussions on the rock buggy/rock crawler pages, I got talked out of it.

Go to Facebook. Go to the Rock Buggies group. Search RCV. There is a post by me dated October 8, 2018. There are 154 comments. Make your own judgement.

There are tons of arguments both for and against. Many of the folks on that discussion are well known racers who beat their shit who tried RCV's and went back to u-joints. Some swear by RCV, others hate them. I guess if you want to build a bouncer, since they seem to be committed to RCV's and be popular with the bouncer people, you should go that route. But to say without a doubt that RCV's are better - that appears to be opinion based. It's interesting in that thread that it starts out VERY pro RCV. Then it seems to take a turn.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
Are you running the gold color ones? Seems there are a few different options now?
I didn't know there are different color joints. The ones I had in my YJ were several years old when I sold it but they were the "whatever they are" style. :)
My buggy has Oversons. I think Yukon, Overson and CTM are pretty much the same.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
I'll check out that page tonight.
My favorite feature of the RCV's is during a hard/sharp turn they eliminate the steering wheel jerking left/right/left/right with each rotation of the tire. I used to run the super joint and you are correct I never broke one, but did destroy a few stock outers (ears would give out). I have also damaged an RCV outer, the grizzly lockout gave up and damaged the outer. Fortunately both were warrantied and I was running by the weekend. Now if I'm at a park or Windrock I run drive flanges. FYI I run 42" stickies
I can see where the sharp turn with the oscillation of a ujoint can be an issue. For whatever reason the comp guys don't seem to care.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
Ive run RCVs for close to 10 years now. 100% takes away the feedback in the wheel while turning. I used my dad's buggy to pre run all the hammer trails this year its running super joints I have definitely grown accustomed to not having that backfeed from a ujoint. If his ever break they will be replaced with RCV. PS. I run my 40 spline big bells at 100+ mph and they love it

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I can see where a full throttle assault with the tires turned will make a difference. Interesting that you noticed it when prerunning.

Like I said above, I was all in to go RCV and was surprised that there was enough dissent that it made me reconsider.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
Doesn't Jesse Haines run RCV's in all of his portal comp buggies? I mean, that's THE rock crawler right?
I'd have to look. He's running portals all the time now so he wouldn't really need them for the strength with the portal gearing but I don't know.

I am not anti RCV. When I broke my stub shaft I was headed that way but the discussions led me to believe they aren't necessarily the holy grail that some think they are. Will I run them someday? Maybe, but since I'm now running Oversons and have 1 of 4 shafts as a Branik 300m and the others are Yukon soI don't see my self going that way soon.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
Just read this.
I got a little depressed and started second guessing myself. In the end it seemed 50/50. I do agree that it would suck if you needed to pull an axle out in some remote area.
Yep, it was an interesting discussion. As you can see, I was 100% in to go RCV. But after the comments, it didn't seem like it was worth the money when I was already invested in Alloy shafts and Super Joints. I can honestly see where the smooth reaction on tight turns makes the RCV's desirable. I agree, it seems 50/50.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
I was never able to get grease in my Johnny joints till I started modding them. The 2 plastic halves nest together and don't allow a grease path into the joint. (well a little tiny hole if you line it up perfect) I die grind about a 3/8" diameter into the halves and then make sure when I install them that they line up with the grease port. Wha-la! they take grease. :)

Oh, and spend the money for the joint press. Makes it 1000 times easier to assemble/disassemble.

· I'm not old, honest...
31,366 Posts
It's probably because I didn't take a brand new product apart and modify it to make it "work great". I'm glad yours worked great, mine are sitting on a table wore out after 7 trips. Heims are too much maintenance but buying the tool to take JJ's apart and then modifying them when they are new out of the package to get them to work properly is totally normal haha. To thier credit, they had a softer ride with no noise.
All true. But at least I figured out a way to make the last and be quiet. That's my frustration with heims. There is nothing you can do to keep them quiet other that keep spraying the shit out of them. By day 3 on our Sand Hollow trip they were making noise. (my buggy is a combo of heims and JJ's.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts