Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the best way to keep my soft top in good shape through winter??? I am investing in" RAGGTOPP Cleaner and protector " it says it will water proof as well as maintain the natural oils and give UV protection.
Should I wash the salt off at the do it yourself car wash??? Or will power washing in freezing whether cause damage??? Do I need to warm up the top to put the cleaner on in the winter. I never had a soft top before so this is all new to me. Thanks for any help..

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
I have never had a problem with washing but I hose it down real good with a water proofer in the fall.

DO NOT scrape the windows with an ice scraper. DO NOT smack the windows with your hand when it is -20. You will knock a hole in the window.

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I hope to hear from others who have experienced winter with there soft top. this will be the first and hopefully the last year for me.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
303 protectant is the best spray on you can get. I put it on 3 times in the summer but have the hard top for the winter.

·
cold as ice
1,284 Posts
I bought the besttop cleaner and the besttop protectant. The cleaner doesn't work for crap. The protectant I won't know about for awhile.

·
Can't Worry About It
1,070 Posts
interesting topic. i never even thought to use a cleaner/ protectant on my soft top at all.

do you think its actually nessesary?

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
interesting topic. i never even thought to use a cleaner/ protectant on my soft top at all.

like any vinyl/rubber/plastic/etc material, the UV will cause the chemicals to break down over time. Anything you can do to prevent this will prolong the life of the material.

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Let me think 600.00 for a new soft top,does it need maintenance:confused: Me thinks YES..Jared how many winters has your soft top been threw? what did you do to clean the road salt off and how did it hold up? I know over think everything :chauncy: but everything needs maintenance .I just want some tips from other's that went threw a winter and possibly learned something that could make it easier, or save time and money on taking care of a soft top, I think I and lot of others would benefit from there experience.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I am on my second soft top on my 99. I guess the new one has been on since around 2001? The windows are going to get scratched, that's the way it is. Don't take it through an automatic car wash. Use the quarter car wash and your own soft brush or towel. Like Muddypaws said, don't scrape or hit them. Then use some 303 scratch remover and protectant come spring.

·
#@%$!*&$#@*
2,774 Posts
Mine is a 2000, been through every winter with no problem. It's showing normal wear, but nothing drastic. I do try to wash the salt off every chance i get. But i feel it's held up very well so far.

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Good advice

Mine is a 2000, been through every winter with no problem. It's showing normal wear, but nothing drastic. I do try to wash the salt off every chance i get. But i feel it's held up very well so far.
Thanks I am getting the RAGGTOP protector and cleaner combo I hear it is really good for protecting the top from water and UV so I will get that on before winter and then l will power wash off as it gets dirty. But NO car wash!!!! Got it. And be careful when it is freezing as the windows will shatter like GLASS. I have to let the truck warm up before I drive so the top softens. I will park it in the jeep house at night ,I Need a remote Starter lol. Thanks for the help all.

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
I never conditioned my top prior to winter and I only observed the following rules for winter use:

1. NEVER EVER use a squeegee to wash the salt off. I did this with my first top and it scratched the windows all to hell.
2. NEVER EVER tap the windows to try and make the snow fall off, they'll crack and rip through like nobodies business.

Other than that I just drove and I didn't worry about letting the windows "warm up" before driving.

The only thing I would add to the list now is to wax the zippers to keep them lubricated and moving freely. OH and to stop ramming it into trees on the trail, it tears them up pretty bad.

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha Thanks. I will have to wash it but Il do it after the drive home so the top will be as warm as the heater can get it.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
I'm heading into my third winter with my soft top (2002, think it was garaged previous winters) and so far so good. I'll have to double check the product I use for the windows but it's an amazing scratch remover on the plastic, I think it's Mother's but I will double check if you're interested. Also...I picked up a zipper cleaner/lube combo thing that goes on with a brush at the dealership and it makes all the difference in the way the windows unzip for the first time.

That being said...I'm ready for a hardtop. I'm driving a lot more for work now and it'll make winter a bit more tolerable I believe.

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm heading into my third winter with my soft top (2002, think it was garaged previous winters) and so far so good. I'll have to double check the product I use for the windows but it's an amazing scratch remover on the plastic, I think it's Mother's but I will double check if you're interested. Also...I picked up a zipper cleaner/lube combo thing that goes on with a brush at the dealership and it makes all the difference in the way the windows unzip for the first time.

That being said...I'm ready for a hardtop. I'm driving a lot more for work now and it'll make winter a bit more tolerable I believe.
Yea I have the same stuff for the Zippers from the dealer Thanks. Let me know what you use on the windows I have Raggtop cleaner and Raggtop Protectent that just came in the mail so today I will be giving the top a good cleaning and protection.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Yea I have the same stuff for the Zippers from the dealer Thanks. Let me know what you use on the windows I have Raggtop cleaner and Raggtop Protectent that just came in the mail so today I will be giving the top a good cleaning and protection.

Meguiars PlasticX.

Good stuff!

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
To be honest I really dont do much other than a good scrubbing with simple green before the winter like I did today and NEVER use those cleaners at gas stations or anything like that when there is dirt on your windows and never ice scrape them.

I know those have already been said but my soft top has a million scratches and a broken window because of those two things.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts