Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with my battery, and a couple misc wires to it for power.

Over time I have wired several things to power.....all seperate ...direct to the battery with their own fuses.

Amps, radio, CB, On Board Air, lights, etc.....and well......it looks like ass! :(

The OBA and Radio/CB both have an 8 guage wire going to them, and there are at least 5 other 10-16 guage wires for misc stuff.

I am now adding a winch, and wondered what yawl did to clean up this mess from hell, with some kind of terminal block, or "power distribution center" under the hood or firewall.

It needs to be able to handle a fair amount of amps, and not sacrifice power to important things.

The winch I will still wire directly to the battery.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I started with my battery, and a couple misc wires to it for power.

Over time I have wired several things to power.....all seperate ...direct to the battery with their own fuses.

Amps, radio, CB, On Board Air, lights, etc.....and well......it looks like ass! :(

The OBA and Radio/CB both have an 8 guage wire going to them, and there are at least 5 other 10-16 guage wires for misc stuff.

I am now adding a winch, and wondered what yawl did to clean up this mess from hell, with some kind of terminal block, or "power distribution center" under the hood or firewall.

It needs to be able to handle a fair amount of amps, and not sacrifice power to important things.

The winch I will still wire directly to the battery.

Thanks in advance
This the right idea. Are you asking for ideas or confirmation on what you want to do? You can get one from crutchfeild or lots of other places...

·
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmmmm

This the right idea. Are you asking for ideas or confirmation on what you want to do? You can get one from crutchfeild or lots of other places...
Ideas I guess.

As to any fuse block setup, or?

I have not seen an example, which is what I am asking for

A block that say a very large wire powered the block, the 8 guages could hook up to it, and use their own fuse, and some kind of on board fuse center for all the other 12-16 guage wires.

:thumb:

.....and waterproof to boot....if so exists

tx

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
go to www.waytekwire.com and look under circuit protection, they have power distribution modules that have a single input stud, 2 output studs, and 2 fuses...use that to feed from the battery to a junction block (also on thier site)...the junction blocks have 2 rows of studs (choose how many in each row) and are tied togethor in sets of 2 (1 each side) with steel...they also have jumpers that can connect the different studs so you can use a single input wire to power up multiple studs...you could also use the same type of junction block that only has a single row of studs, and do it the same way...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,947 Posts
I had this exact same problem. I'm not sure if you have a YJ or not, but I used a ford starter relay that attaches to the fender. This is where I hook all my little acc. off of. I'm going to build a plate that covers it so its out of the way. I have it sitting to the left of my battery box on my YJ mounted on the firewall.

·
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me make this simple......but beware!

Along the line last summer I knew this wasn't the correct way to wire it.....but I did it anyway to quickly hook it up.

Here is what I have:

:eek: :eek:

Top post positive: On Board Air, 38 amps, fed into the fuse on the firewall, 8 guage wire

Negative side post: Main ground wire to block, negative wires for the PIAA windshield driving lights

Positive Side Post: Right side are misc wires, Left side - Main Battery positive, white wire - positive for windshield lights, black 8 guage wire - Power to stereo/CB

I know it's a clusterfuck.....but that's what I am aiming to fix :thumb:

The heavy wires attatched to the battery almost need to be there, so perhaps some kind of large battery cable wire that feeds a heavy terminal block that they can attatch to?? :confused:

The winch will go directly to the top posts.

Thanks

- Tim

·
18,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool

go to www.waytekwire.com and look under circuit protection, they have power distribution modules that have a single input stud, 2 output studs, and 2 fuses...use that to feed from the battery to a junction block (also on thier site)...the junction blocks have 2 rows of studs (choose how many in each row) and are tied togethor in sets of 2 (1 each side) with steel...they also have jumpers that can connect the different studs so you can use a single input wire to power up multiple studs...you could also use the same type of junction block that only has a single row of studs, and do it the same way...
power relay module = http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail/M37/46096 (note, not the one with the relay in it)

junction blocks = http://order.waytekwire.com/category/M37/300

or you could reverse teh same thing (same parts) and use a single wire off of the battery, to a junction block, then to multiple power modules to get the number of circuits you need, all with a seperate fuse protecting each one at the source...
I had this exact same problem. I'm not sure if you have a YJ or not, but I used a ford starter relay that attaches to the fender. This is where I hook all my little acc. off of. I'm going to build a plate that covers it so its out of the way. I have it sitting to the left of my battery box on my YJ mounted on the firewall.

Thanks!

:woot:

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sveen, just so you know, "weather resistant" is not waterproof...

7-CIRCUIT WEATHER RESISTANT FUSE BLOCK
hmm..cant even find a price on the 20 circuit fusebox (which is listed as waterproof)..and trying to add it to the cart to see teh price, it goes to a picture of the catalog...but considering the 7 circuit weather resistant junction block is $75, the 20 circuit fuse box is going to be pricey to buy from Painless...

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Something like this perhaps? Would work for the gauges under the dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts