Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this should probably go in the Axle section but I need Jeep advice. My friend just bought a 1999 TJ with 37" tires and I do believe it has the stock axles, he already broke one.

Question 1. What axles came in a 99 TJ? Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front?

Question 2. Did the 99 TJ come with a solid front axle or was it IFS that someone converted on his?

Question 3. I know a 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front would be his best choice but it involves too much fab work shortening the axles...is there anything that would be a direct bolt in that would be stronger than what he has now, say maybe axles out of an old V8 CJ5 or something, like Dana 44 front and rear? He has maybe $1000 to upgrade, what would be his best option?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The 30 in the front will work but should be upgraded at some point, for a grand he should be able to pick up an 8.8 out of an exploder buy the bracket kit and get it welded and maybe have anough left over for a lunchbox locker.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy Smaller Tires. Atleast down to a 35.
I don't know how much suspension lift he has but he is talking about taking the 3" body lift off and getting 36" tires...would that 1" make much of a difference? He does not want to get too small of a tire because it has 4.56 gears and he plans on taking it on trips this summer. It does have the 4.0 6cyl and manual transmission not sure if it is 4 or 5 speed? What kind of rpm would he be looking at doing 70mph with 35's vs 36's?

Also is the explorer 8.8 the same width as the stock axle? What about the bolt pattern? He has nice wheels and I am sure he would like to keep them...if it is not the same bolt pattern is there a conversion kit?

·
Premium Member
15,718 Posts
http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

Use this RPM calc to find what tire size He would want to run with his setup.

Running any tire larger than a 33 IMO just puts way to much stress on a stock D30 (if thats what it has) I think that if hes gonna drive it alot on the highway that a smaller size tire will prolly handle better and quieter for him. And he could sell what he has and not have to drop a $1000 to stop breaking shafts as quicky. However it still will break them.

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
The 30 in the front will work but should be upgraded at some point, for a grand he should be able to pick up an 8.8 out of an exploder buy the bracket kit and get it welded and maybe have anough left over for a lunchbox locker.
I've seen Explorer 8.8's on here for $1-300 depending on if it's complete; disc to disc or with a good posi. I've got a customer with a TJ on 35's and hasn't broken any axles yet, but he's gernaded 2 spider sets which took out the carrier. It's a stick and he has a heavy foot.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
only full size jeeps, and rubicons come stock with front 44s.

8.8 rear would be his best bet. then a 44 from a wagoneer or something. either way its gonna need fab work, and every penny out of that $1000 budget

I always liked the JK rubicon 44 swaps, but thats gonna be $$$

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I ran 35s on a 35 as well and pretty much did the same thing. I also picked up a 8.8 on here for 250.00 and the bolt pattern is the same but its about an inch narrower but nothing to make a difference. here are a couple different websites but if you do a google search for 8.8 swap in a jeep you will find a lot of info on it.

http://stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm

8.8 FACTS, OPINIONS & HOW-TO'S (F.A.Q.) - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

http://www.solidaxle.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=13&idcategory=13 this is the bracket kit.

also he would be just fine running 35s with his gearing, I have 33s and 3.73s and wish I was geared a little taller as 5th is useable but I have do downshift on some of the slightest inclines.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
TJ fronts were D30's and the Rubi's were D44's. The rear could be a D35 or a D44, but the Rubi will always be a D44 rear.

Ditch the body lift.

All the manual TJ transmissions were 5-speeds. 35's are fine with 4.56's and an OD.

An 8.8 rear still leaves you with the D30 front being the weak link. It is only an improvement if you have a D35 rear, but limited at that since it simply moves the timebomb to the front of the Jeep. Ask Kickstand. He did it and then proceeded to break his D30 multiple times.

As stated, no Jeeps other than the Rubis and FSJ's ever came with a D44 front. Nothing is a bolt-in other than a Rubi D44, which still leaves you with the same u-joint size and outers as the D30 front.

An FSJ D44/8.8 combo requires a Super88 kit or redrilling the 8.8 to 5x5.5", as there is no practical way to get to 5x4.5" in the front without shortening a unit bearing Dodge D44 front or forking out the $ for a TJ Rubi D44.

TJ's never came with IFS.

If you go that route, don't shorten the D60/14bFF. Just get a SRW set and run higher backspacing.

Personally, if he want's a medium-duty vehicle on 35"-ish tires that don't stick out that far, I would look for a matched set of D44's from a 1986-up Grand Wagoneer. They are only ~0.5"-1" wider than the factory TJ axles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts