Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone here hopefully has the answer. I downloaded a ton of cd's into Itunes over the last week and now I can't get this into the correct format to use on my daughter's new xmass present.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I bought my daughter an mp3 player for xmass but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to convert my 3000 plus Itunes files to MP3 format so they are usable. I found "4Media convertor" but it is not as easy as just high lighting the entie Itunes folder and converting it over to another format.

·
expert jeep disassembler
8,005 Posts
you cant download songs to itunes. you download them onto your computer and then you put them in i tunes. you should be able to get them through windows media player and download to a non ipod mp3 player without changing the format. at least that is how i have done it

·
Registered
728 Posts
Someone here hopefully has the answer. I downloaded a ton of cd's into Itunes over the last week and now I can't get this into the correct format to use on my daughter's new xmass present.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I bought my daughter an mp3 player for xmass but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to convert my 3000 plus Itunes files to MP3 format so they are usable. I found "4Media convertor" but it is not as easy as just high lighting the entie Itunes folder and converting it over to another format.
Some pretty good info here.

http://blogs.digitalmediaonlineinc.com/m4pconverter/

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
If you are using iTunes and the songs are loaded on in a form other than MP3, you can convert them within iTunes.

Select the songs you want to convert and go to "Advanced" in the menu and then click "Convert to MP3." There may be another step in there but I think that's it.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are using iTunes and the songs are loaded on in a form other than MP3, you can convert them within iTunes.

Select the songs you want to convert and go to "Advanced" in the menu and then click "Convert to MP3." There may be another step in there but I think that's it.
I've looked for that but in version 8 i assume thats not an option any more.

I wish I would have known the cd where importing into a useless format unless your using an Ipod. I could have changed the import setting or used Media Player...... now I have a LOT more cd ripping to do I'm assuming.

Wish there was a way to covert them from Itunes or ??????????

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've looked for that but in version 8 i assume thats not an option any more.

I wish I would have known the cd where importing into a useless format unless your using an Ipod. I could have changed the import setting or used Media Player...... now I have a LOT more cd ripping to do I'm assuming.

Wish there was a way to covert them from Itunes or ??????????
It's there in v8, just select the files/songs an right click. Also go into preferences and change the import options to MP3 so new CD's will be in MP3 format.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's there in v8, just select the files/songs an right click. Also go into preferences and change the import options to MP3 so new CD's will be in MP3 format.
I understand that,
the problem is I don't have any more cd's to import because I had my head up my $$$$*&%@*&%@ and didn't realize what file type they already were imported in. :fish:myself:fish:

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will be my hero if you can explain how to export my exsisting files to an mp3 file.

I'm in my recently added songs and if I right click these are my options. Well i tried to get an image of the screen when I right click but it won't let me do that so this is the list I have to work from:

Get Info
Rating -------------->
Show in windows explorer
Create AAC Version
Create Ring tone
Reset Play Count
Reset Skip count
------------------------
Play next in party shuffle
Add to party shuffle
------------------------
un check selection
------------------------
show in play lisy--------->
------------------------
Copy
------------------------
Get album artwork
Apply sort field---------->

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
Itunes imports to aiff file type.

what you want to do (this will not work with itunes store purchases)

Select (highlight) what you want to convert, easy way is to click in music view and hit ctrl+a
Right click in there and select "create mp3 version"
it will convert all if the songs and add them to the playlist as duplicates.
Should be able to select them all (that part will suck) and drag them to a new playlist and do what you want from there.

i just did this with itunes 8.0.2 on a mac

·
Registered
728 Posts
You will be my hero if you can explain how to export my exsisting files to an mp3 file.

I'm in my recently added songs and if I right click these are my options. Well i tried to get an image of the screen when I right click but it won't let me do that so this is the list I have to work from:

Get Info
Rating -------------->
Show in windows explorer
Create AAC Version
Create Ring tone
Reset Play Count
Reset Skip count
------------------------
Play next in party shuffle
Add to party shuffle
------------------------
un check selection
------------------------
show in play lisy--------->
------------------------
Copy
------------------------
Get album artwork
Apply sort field---------->

Looks like the convert yo AAC is because your default import is AAC, change that to MP3 and you should get the convert option for all of the non-protected files.

http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

Converting iTunes to MP3

If you right-click on a music track in iTunes, there is an option to Convert Selection to some other format.

Probably it says "Convert Selection to AAC", which is useless because your iTunes tracks are already in AAC format!

You'll need to change your import settings to get iTunes to import the track as MP3. In iTunes 8, go to Edit / Preferences / General and click the Import Settings button. In older versions of iTunes, click on Edit / Preferences / Importing (or Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Importing). Your goal is to change the Import Using from the default setting to "MP3 Encoder".

Click OK to save this setting.

Now when you right-click on a music track, there is an option to Convert Selection to MP3. But just try it... iTunes will tell you that "Protected files cannot be converted to other formats."

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like the convert yo AAC is because your default import is AAC, change that to MP3 and you should get the convert option for all of the non-protected files.

http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

Converting iTunes to MP3

If you right-click on a music track in iTunes, there is an option to Convert Selection to some other format.

Probably it says "Convert Selection to AAC", which is useless because your iTunes tracks are already in AAC format!

You'll need to change your import settings to get iTunes to import the track as MP3. In iTunes 8, go to Edit / Preferences / General and click the Import Settings button. In older versions of iTunes, click on Edit / Preferences / Importing (or Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Importing). Your goal is to change the Import Using from the default setting to "MP3 Encoder".

Click OK to save this setting.

Now when you right-click on a music track, there is an option to Convert Selection to MP3. But just try it... iTunes will tell you that "Protected files cannot be converted to other formats."

Thanks for all the help--All of you BUT I changed my import setting and started ripping the cd's again. But for shiuts and grins I tried what you have above.

I highlighted an couple different albums in the recently added music section and the only thing that changed was I had an option to (Convert ID3 Tags). Not sure what that is but it didn't look correct.

Is it possible that its not giving me the option becasue they aren't in a follder yet?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks for all the help--All of you BUT I changed my import setting and started ripping the cd's again. But for shiuts and grins I tried what you have above.

I highlighted an couple different albums in the recently added music section and the only thing that changed was I had an option to (Convert ID3 Tags). Not sure what that is but it didn't look correct.

Is it possible that its not giving me the option becasue they aren't in a follder yet?
After you changed the default, did you restart iTunes. Also try selecting a single song and right clicking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.