Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from this group. Next month will be 5 years my girlfriend and I have been together. I am ready to ask her to marry me but before I do this I need a ring. I have some old family diamonds already so I need some recommendations for custom jewelers. I am looking to stay around the Ann Arbor/Jackson/Lansing/Brighton area. There is a local guy but I have heard a few things that are making me shy away. Seems like he will take your budget and then run it over. He ran a friend another $1000 past his budget. This is not the only story like this I have heard. To me, this sounds like his sales tactic and I am not a fan of it. So GL4x4 who have you used and who would you stay away from.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a couple my way that I can recommend if you want to come this far.

About time :d:
I am not totally opposed to traveling to the west side but for right now I want to stay half way close. It's been coming and I should probably make it all official and stuff lol

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,890 Posts
I have to say that Medawar jewelers in Brighton is by far the best I've ever worked with. The owners name is JP and he has done everything within his power to treat me right. Would HIGHLY recommend him and can send you his cell phone number if you'd like, he responds well to text.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
I'll never understand spending that much money on a ring. I spent $900 on my wife's ring and she never wears it now because it needs to be resized. I spent $300 on mine and its a glorified key ring now because we can't wear them at work.

·
Gustafson
9,186 Posts
I'll never understand spending that much money on a ring. I spent $900 on my wife's ring and she never wears it now because it needs to be resized. I spent $300 on mine and its a glorified key ring now because we can't wear them at work.
Different strokes for different folks.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miners Den in Royal Oak. They do excellent work.

Oh, and congrats! :d:
Thank you sir.

I have to say that Medawar jewelers in Brighton is by far the best I've ever worked with. The owners name is JP and he has done everything within his power to treat me right. Would HIGHLY recommend him and can send you his cell phone number if you'd like, he responds well to text.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Good to know. I will keep that in mind and may be getting in touch with you both.

Thankfully she agrees that there are better places to spend money than a ring. I have tried to tell her I will hardly wear mine. I work as a machinist and even the $15 silicone rings are a little concerning around equipment. Outside of my day job I do too much work around vehicle electrical systems to want a finger brand.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Good for you! I am absolutely no help in the Jeweler department, but just wanted to say congrats!

And don't let people give you shit for waiting so long to pop the question. I proposed to my wife on our 9 year anniversary. That was almost 2 years ago, so it doesn't matter how long ti takes, as long as you know you're ready.

·
Gustafson
9,186 Posts
Good for you! I am absolutely no help in the Jeweler department, but just wanted to say congrats!

And don't let people give you shit for waiting so long to pop the question. I proposed to my wife on our 9 year anniversary. That was almost 2 years ago, so it doesn't matter how long ti takes, as long as you know you're ready.
Yep, I did the same. 2008 I popped the question on our 7 year anniversary. You know when you're ready, that's all that matters.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks. I have never been one to rush in to any decision. Hell it took a year of knowing each other before we even started dating. Neither of us regret any of the "extra" time we took compared to others. She is a great woman that I truly enjoy spending my time with. We have talked about this for a while now and we are both ready to make the next step together.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dude, your a machinist turned engineer, screw the jeweler, design and machine your own, it’s what I did, she stuck with me for 14 years so far, musta done something right

·
Project Antitube
902 Posts
La Jolla in Chelsea is a bit of a joke, I'm assuming that's where you went. Friendly enough but nothing special for what he charges. He's there to make $25,000 rings for old people at the various Sunset Acres.

Dan Hacker down in Tecumseh at Hacker Jewelers. They will make you anything you want. If it's in a catalog anywhere they'll do that as a starting point, or use the whole piece and set your stones in it. Or design and cast you what you want. If you want only conflict-free stuff they'll do that. If you want reclaimed they'll do that. Depending on what you're looking for they have as short as a one-week turnaround time for something they make for you.

I have him buy used diamonds and whatnot and have them reset them. He'll search auctions, estate sales, and whatnot and buy old jewelry for you to use parts from. It works better for you to give a couple three month notice of what you want so then he can find you the best prices. The nice thing is going this route if you have multiple diamond requirements you find a piece where someone else has already done the stone matching so it saves some labor and searching. He's really up front with cost, quality, etc.

He stocks a lot of loose stones and he'll show you examples so you can see what you're looking for. I'm kind of picky and usually notice anything worse than a G-SI2 and a bad cut so he usually ends up finding some used stuff already matched for me and they turn it into something else for me. 99% sure most of the reclaimed stones I've bought came from rich old people's wedding and engagement rings. If I remember to ask, he'll show me what it came from. I've bought enough stuff there that he knows what I like and he doesn't show me stuff he doesn't think I'll be interested in.

I have no complaints and have sent plenty of people there and they haven't complained either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts