Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
lol... sales tax... michigan is one of the lower on the list. not in the bottom ten, but very close. 6% sales tax is GREAT! We were paying 8.xx % in the last few states we lived in.

The property and house and barn I just bought (for an amazing price) you cant touch around the south texas area for even double the price right now. Sure, bfe mississippi or arkansas sure you can probably find something cheaper. BUT, I can go to the UP and buy 100's of acres for what I am paying in chelsea. SO, are we comparing apples to oranges?

have you driven on 27 going up north? are you taking about running 23 or 75? what highways are you guys driving? 94? is that bad? (west of the city). I guess I am just not seeing these "bad" highways (saline milan road SUCKS RIGHT NOW THOUGH!). 10 is not great, but no where near terrible by any means. I have driven this country and back and fourth several times. michigan doesnt have the BEST roads, but to say we have the worst roads on the planet is a bit of stretch...

not trying to compare penis's here. I will lose.

BUT, I just moved back to michigan from across the country were it was "SO MUCH BETTER", and I am simply telling you. IT ISNT...

Also, I know some dont like the cold. BUT, think about all the stuff it keeps away... Ive been in the south for the last several years in the military, and I guess you dont know what you miss till you leave... AND, that is why we are back. :thumb:

Just like I asked someone at work. If you hate it here so much and the grass is so much greener why are you standing on this side of the fence complaining to me? :finger:
94, 23, 75, every road in livingston county (I haven't traveled much outside of that in michigan lately, I'm usually leaving the state to vacation, not staying here) that is patches on top of patches.....our roads are in rough shape.
Not to mention some of the other states with out income taxes, that can save a significant amount of money as well.

I am not a Michigan hater, I'm just simply saying there are other states that I feel have more to offer. If/when I get the chance to leave michigan it wouldn't be for the miserably hot dusty state of texas filled with immigrants.

Jim, I am not saying michigan roads are the worst, but in the states I listed I found their roads to be better than michigan roads, Highways, primaries and often secondary roads were all smoother.

I really don't hate michigan at all, I was just simply pointing out to Faggar that there are other reasons besides if you have a job or not that you may not choose to live in michigan.

I almost find it comical that those of you who have traveled to places like harlan, windrock, moab, johnson valley, tellico, etc. to go wheeling can't at least see the point of view that is being presented. Michigan has a lot to offer, but other places certainly can compete and may have more to offer.

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Flat is relative. To someone who wants to ride mountain bikes down hills, or have great skiing locally, its probably flat.

I have family that lives in Kentucky, I couldn't stand all the hills and ridges, slow winding roads, roads that never go from point a to point b, shitty cell signals, etc.

Cost of living is also relative, since salaries are also usually commeasurate. So this usually comes back to whether someone can get a good job or not.

Anyway, congrats on the new move, RBB :thumb:

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Flat is relative. To someone who wants to ride mountain bikes down hills, or have great skiing locally, its probably flat.

I have family that lives in Kentucky, I couldn't stand all the hills and ridges, slow winding roads, roads that never go from point a to point b, shitty cell signals, etc.

Cost of living is also relative, since salaries are also usually commeasurate. So this usually comes back to whether someone can get a good job or not.

Anyway, congrats on the new move, RBB :thumb:
everything is relative, that was my point, it goes beyond being able to "find a job"

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
There is a town in Michigan called Grand Rapids, to be "cool" people call it GRap. Do cool people call Cedar Rapids CRap? jus curious.
Being they are trying to promote themselves as Lil Chicago, it should be CRap town as in "Chi town".

Honestly as far as the roads go. I'd take MI roads over IA roads anyday. If I stay out of Metro Detroit (even then the "bad" roads in the D aren't so bad) I rarely find a road that is on par with IA. At least in MI they don't have Exploding potholes, those were fun when a chunk of concrete would explode and take out a interstate here. At least in MI they believe in cleaning roads during the winter. This last year they didn't start plowing the main roads till after it finished snowing by a few hours and

Kickstand, those of us that have traveled to places like harlan, windrock, moab, johnson valley, tellico, etc are telling you that looking at a place at face value it looks good, but really isn't. Yes the roads are good and they may have "everything to offer", but its the little nuances that really start adding up quick that make someplaces not as worth it. High sales tax, roads, natural topography and weather issues, on top of cost of living, and other issues aren't things exactly seen till you live there.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Being they are trying to promote themselves as Lil Chicago, it should be CRap town as in "Chi town".

Honestly as far as the roads go. I'd take MI roads over IA roads anyday. If I stay out of Metro Detroit (even then the "bad" roads in the D aren't so bad) I rarely find a road that is on par with IA. At least in MI they don't have Exploding potholes, those were fun when a chunk of concrete would explode and take out a interstate here. At least in MI they believe in cleaning roads during the winter. This last year they didn't start plowing the main roads till after it finished snowing by a few hours and

Kickstand, those of us that have traveled to places like harlan, windrock, moab, johnson valley, tellico, etc are telling you that looking at a place at face value it looks good, but really isn't. Yes the roads are good and they may have "everything to offer", but its the little nuances that really start adding up quick that make someplaces not as worth it. High sales tax, roads, natural topography and weather issues, on top of cost of living, and other issues aren't things exactly seen till you live there.
Who is theeeee fuck are you?? Telling kickstand something?? You are out your god damn mind son. He knows everything I mean the dude is a living legend m, at the age of 6 he had been to every state twice, knew the ins and outs of the local economies, had evaluated the local infrastructure, and and wrote 3 books about doing so. There is a road in North America he hasn't traveled nor a job market he hasn't figured out. You are taking about the great kickstand here. He is the one who decides what a relative term means and how you WILL use it. Nobody has done more, seen more, or knows more about any topic than himself. No to mention he is a world grammar police officer.

You sir need to back the fuck up, you don't talk to kickstand like that.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Who is theeeee fuck are you?? Telling kickstand something?? You are out your god damn mind son. He knows everything I mean the dude is a living legend m, at the age of 6 he had been to every state twice, knew the ins and outs of the local economies, had evaluated the local infrastructure, and and wrote 3 books about doing so. There is a road in North America he hasn't traveled nor a job market he hasn't figured out. You are taking about the great kickstand here. He is the one who decides what a relative term means and how you WILL use it. Nobody has done more, seen more, or knows more about any topic than himself. No to mention he is a world grammar police officer.

Easy, easy there killer, it's not like I'm Dale or anything.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
94, 23, 75, every road in livingston county (I haven't traveled much outside of that in michigan lately, I'm usually leaving the state to vacation, not staying here) that is patches on top of patches.....our roads are in rough shape.
Not to mention some of the other states with out income taxes, that can save a significant amount of money as well.

I am not a Michigan hater, I'm just simply saying there are other states that I feel have more to offer. If/when I get the chance to leave michigan it wouldn't be for the miserably hot dusty state of texas filled with immigrants.

Jim, I am not saying michigan roads are the worst, but in the states I listed I found their roads to be better than michigan roads, Highways, primaries and often secondary roads were all smoother.

I really don't hate michigan at all, I was just simply pointing out to Faggar that there are other reasons besides if you have a job or not that you may not choose to live in michigan.

I almost find it comical that those of you who have traveled to places like harlan, windrock, moab, johnson valley, tellico, etc. to go wheeling can't at least see the point of view that is being presented. Michigan has a lot to offer, but other places certainly can compete and may have more to offer.
23 is not very good through there I agree. reminds of the highways in Western tenesee/missouri/kentucky border. I forget what highway that is that connects memphis to southern illinois.

I have family in western kentucky. I like it there. BUT, they have Poisonous stuff and it gets cold but they get no snow. the coldest I have ever been was down there... what fun is cold with no snow?! the highways in kentucky are nice. The back roads around benton/paducah are really no better than our backroads.

I agree. there is allot of cool states with cool stuff to offer. BUT, I am a michigan boy. I left. I tried a few other states, and decided it was better that I just visit them on vacations etc. and make my home here... Better place to raise my son was a big part of it. I wanted him to be able to experience all the awesome things I got to experience as a kid.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts

Check your tampon, I think it needs to be changed, or you put it in the wrong hole. :finger:

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
everything is relative, that was my point, it goes beyond being able to "find a job"
true. Just was stating 'my' experience. I have known a few people that left for other reasons (1 for a girl, 1 wanted to specifically live in Chicago, 1 wanted to do mountain climbing)... but for most people I know, it has been job related, as the main driving factor.

I know I have been to harlan, tellico, utah, colorado, etc. 44 states, and 4 continents. So I have seen whats out there. Michigan still tops my list for myriad of factors, Germany would be my #2 place.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
I know I have been to harlan, tellico, utah, colorado, etc. 44 states, and 4 continents. So I have seen whats out there. Michigan still tops my list for myriad of factors, Germany would be my #2 place.
I know a lot of people that feel the same about Germany. I actually have some friends who do live over there. I've never been, I'd like to some day though.

·
Obama Nation!
14,643 Posts
I lived in Germany for almost a year. It was fun, but I would never want to "move there".
I like michigan....hate the long winter.

I would only leave Clarkston for a handful of places:
1. Key West
2. Nashville
3. Tampa (mmmmmm, @Hacksaw)
4. Traverse City.
5. - infinity Clarkston, MI

·
FORMER BULLET CATCHER
10,279 Posts
it’s time to move on

I have family in Germany, I'd love to go visit in the next few years.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I like the Mississippi river valley. When I was a kid I would get tired of it, but now that I'm older I really like it. I drive through three states on my daily commute.

And if you want to talk flat landers, try driving through IL top to bottom...or across NE.

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Germany was cool, ....and the area I was in was too close to France.
Thats a benefit.

For us, people will go do a 18-24 month assignment in Germany then come back. I hope to do that but in another 5-10 years from now when the kids are older. Its a requirement for us to have long-term international experience to move to the executive salary grades. My boss is about to go for 18 months for that reason.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts