Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there shareware or freeware available that allows you to track and record your connection to your ISP? My Millenium Digital connection lately has sucked. We have had 2 trouble calls and I just scheduled another one tonight. They did a bunch of work out here and the signal strength to our cable router is too hot. The tech backed it down at the pole, but we are still losing the signal quite often. If I can track my connectivity and provide proof that the connection is constantly being lost, I can discuss the bill with them with a little more ammunition. Kim and I both work from home via VPN. Every time the router resets and reaquires the IP, we lose the VPN connection. That makes a 1 hour job take 2-3 or more at times. Just getting a little tired of it. The tech tonight scanned our connection and said the signal noise levels were off the chart. Suggestions?

·
#@%$!*&$#@*
2,774 Posts
What kind of router do you have. You should be able to log into it and check the main log. It will tell you every time it power cycles, loses connection and a few other diagnostic things.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the brand off-hand. It is the cable modem/router that they provided with the service. No clue how to log into it.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
What ISP? You only have the one box on the coax and no router after it? Whats your physical setup?

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
interesting. charter only provides a cable modem, if one wants additional connections they have to provide their own router/wifi/accesspoint/hub.

I suspect StartingLine was guessing the same, and thinking that you would access the log of your own router. (if any)

I can't offer up any suggestions as to "freeware" monitoring, but you might try one of the software firewalls, I think they too offer logging and in theory should also be able to identify connection/disconnects via logging.

Sorry, not a great suggestion either. *shrug*

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The connection is from the wall to the cable modem (technically a router not a modem), then to my Linksys N wireless router. The tech that came out said our signal strength was too high and much like a circuit breaker, the cable modem will trip and then have to reaquire the IP address. This is thru Millenium Digital Media (www.mdm.net). When it works, it works great. But at night when the air is cooler, the cables naturally increase the signal strength just like electric transmission lines. That is when we start having issues. They are supposed to call me again this morning to let me know when they can come look at it again.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Well, if you're getting too much power, put a splitter on the line before the modem and cut it down. You could even put an rf filter box inline to cut out the noise that you get and also reduce the power at the same time. I honestly find it hard to believe the signal is too hot since typically if its over a certain strength from the pole they'll run small cable to the house instead of the beefy stuff. Also, if there's alot of noise plus alot of power I have to wonder if they're simply amplifying it at the pole from a bad signal to begin with.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are in the process of upgrading the lines in our area from early 80's vintage stuff. The MDM tech that measured at our house said the signal was stronger at the modem than it should have been at the pole 400+ feet away. I will try the splitter option until they can get out to check it out again.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
They are in the process of upgrading the lines in our area from early 80's vintage stuff. The MDM tech that measured at our house said the signal was stronger at the modem than it should have been at the pole 400+ feet away. I will try the splitter option until they can get out to check it out again.
Um, thats impossible unless you have an amplifier out on the box on your house. Simple matter of signal loss over length of line. The pole has to be stronger than the house end no matter what.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
Um, thats impossible unless you have an amplifier out on the box on your house. Simple matter of signal loss over length of line. The pole has to be stronger than the house end no matter what.
:miff: :miff: :miff:

What he's saying is.....

The signal Strength the Tech measured at the House is HIGHER than what would normally be measured at the pole.
never said it was higher than what was at his pole

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
:miff: :miff: :miff:

What he's saying is.....

The signal Strength the Tech measured at the House is HIGHER than what would normally be measured at the pole.
never said it was higher than what was at his pole
oh, duh. Still, thats pretty hard to do without disrupting/overpowering every customer off that same junction box/pole. If they're doing that, then they have a serious issue with an entire street of customers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts