Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the front axle from a "70's" ford. My 3/4 ton d44 does not have knuckles like that. Is it a 60? I don't know front axles that well. I can get the whole frame/drive train pretty cheap. It has eight bolt rear as well. I'm assuming the rear is a 60. Any help or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks, Will

·
Low Range Drifter
8,464 Posts
Parts availability would be my #1 reason, and for me it is a show stopper.

I have read internet lore that they are weaker, but I have no proof of it. Since I can't get past reason #1, I haven't put any real effort into researching if they are weaker.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
There's nothing wrong, per se, with closed knuckle, but that axle is just outdated. You don' thave the same shafts/joints, so finding aftermarket stuff isn't going to happen.

The only two downsides I see to closed knuckle is the reduced turning radius compared to most open knuckles, and they are messy to service.

Othre than that, I'm rather partial to my closed knuckle front...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I can get the complete frame with engine/trans/t.c. and axles for $300. I don't really need the rest, but was hoping the front axle would work out. I don't know the exact year, but it is supposed to have a 360. So I'm guessing early 70's. I may still take a look at it and see if the rest of the parts are in ok shape. Never hurts to have spares.

Thanks for the input.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
if you want to put a lot of money into it then stay away, if you want the center section then grab it.

to the average guy it probably isnt worth more that $200... I personally would walk away like johnnyj said.
If its a D60, it should be LP. I would walk also. Too much effort for little return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts