Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Just The Spouse's spouse
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:usa::chiefwoohaw:www.harborfreight.com
:chiefwoohaw:
Yes, I shop there. There's shitty Chineses junk and there's good Chinese junk! :usa::beerbang:

·
Out for the Summer!
5,098 Posts
Eh, it's Cheap. I haven't really had any time to test anything out. But it could be the Good kind of cheap. The Chicago brand isn't the greatest from what I heard. I get little stuff there though. It's fun to go and see what they have.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
I buy stuff there. some good, some bad. angle grinder, 1/2" air ratchet, air cutoff tool, 1/2" drive torx, small ball pein hammer, pittsburgh lifetime warranty wrenches drill press = good. plastic welding kit=bad for welding plastic, good for using on electrical shrink wrap.

42,951 Posts
I purchased a 1" ratchet and socket set from there that goes up to 3.5". It cost me $65.00 and has around 15 sockets.

That was the same price as one craftsman socket that size.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
fucking junk. Fastenal FTW, and i get a 20% discount from them cause i am a hobart student.

·
Live Action!
15,750 Posts
I have bought a lot of junk from there. Actually most of it is fine. Not top quality but it gets the job done.

BUT some is actual junk, you just need to know what you are buying.

I do not recommend anything electrical, I bought a band saw from there and the motor needs a hand to get it going(literally, I have to spin it to get it going).

Another buddy bought an electric grinder and it took a shit the first time using it, same thing with a hand held planer I bought, it cought on fire the first time I used it.

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
all depends what you get and use. My cut off saw is running well after 2 years, the drill i bought and seldom use is fine. Cut off wheels for my angle grinder, never leave the store without buying them. It is hit or miss for sure and for things that i use all the time i'll spend the money on quality but for a puller that i'll use once or twice a year its harbor freight all the way.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,083 Posts
I have bought a lot of junk from there. Actually most of it is fine. Not top quality but it gets the job done.

I do not recommend anything electrical, I bought a band saw from there and the motor needs a hand to get it going(literally, I have to spin it to get it going).

Another buddy bought an electric grinder and it took a shit the first time using it, same thing with a hand held planer I bought, it cought on fire the first time I used it.
all depends what you get and use. My cut off saw is running well after 2 years, the drill i bought and seldom use is fine. Cut off wheels for my angle grinder, never leave the store without buying them. It is hit or miss for sure and for things that i use all the time i'll spend the money on quality but for a puller that i'll use once or twice a year its harbor freight all the way.
I agree. I avoid electrical stuff there because it usually doesn't last very long. Things I'll only use a few times I'll buy there. Things I use a lot I'll look for better quality. Basic supplies I'll buy there.

As for the import vs. American aspect I don't think they're much different that most tool stores. Most of the lower grade stuff is imported.

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
i swear 3/4 of my dads tool box is filled with their shit.. like most have said i have mixed opinions some of the stuff is such junk its worth the 95% off over name brand stuff but some of it is soo cheap its worth it if you get to use it 1 time ! as for being good for america id say no.. ive never seen anything in there american made

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
Junk tools make me angry.

Sure I have a few disposable china made things in my boxes, but I can still buy that crap at ace. sears. etc...why would I walk into a store with rows of junk???

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
I have a set of their pitsburgh combination wrenches in the tool box next to my kobalt adjustable head ratcheting wrenches. I was removing a hitch and the frame nut was one of those square deals. I took the HF 3/4 wrench and pounded it onto the nut plate with a hammer, then put a 20" breaker on the bolt head and started rowing the bolt loose the wrench didn't even have a scratch on it. possium8 will back me up on it, it was his hitch.
on the same set I had a jaw break off the 1/4". took it back and got a replacement without issue. the drill press I got there has not disappointed me either. I have put 1/2" holes through 1" mild with their drill bits without issue. if there is something that is sooo critical I need exacting tolerances I'll do it at my buddies shop on his brigdeport. I got a set of torches there and took it to the welding supply where i get supplies and he said it was not a overseas make. again it has never let me down.

granted I am not using this stuff on a daily basis but I have had very little issues. pnuematic angle grinders from HF=the junk. personally I don't like their cutoff wheels and they are of lower quality than the $3 each one I buy at the local hardware. the HF wheels create way more dust and wear down too fast.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I lose the same shit over and over. Side cutters, linesmen pliers and drill bits. that's the shit I buy there. I also buy shit there that I'm generally only going to use a few times.

I did buy a 9" pulley puller there for $9. I had to have it to change my timing belt. Sears wanted over $70 for it. I used it once, it worked fine. Also bought a 90 degree drill there real cheap that I only used about 4 times.

The place serves a purpose. It's awesome for homeowners or people that don't need reliable tools.

IMO, ACO probably sells the shittiest tools of anybody, and their prices suck the cack.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts

my angle grinder I bought there has already outlasted the dewalts I was buying. the bearings sounded shot the first time I turned it on, but it continues to work fine.

·
Brush Yo Teeth!
1,737 Posts
Never buy the impact sockets.
Broke two the first time I used them...
Other than That I have bought tons of stuff from there. Lots of air tools that work fine for what I use them for, floor nailer that performs excellent and 1/4 of the price of name brands. Just bought some 6 ton jack stands that work great for lifted vehicles
You get what you pay for though!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts