Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
AMC's are externally balanced, so unless you take the motor to a shop to have the entire assembly re-balanced, even if it were to bolt up it would tear your motor apart.

FYI I have 2 360 flexplates

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
That is all. Thanks.

Craig
No.

AMC's are externally balanced, so unless you take the motor to a shop to have the entire assembly re-balanced, even if it were to bolt up it would tear your motor apart.

FYI I have 2 360 flexplates

Why would you rebalance the assembly when you can rebalance the flexplate itself? The trouble with that is finding someone to do it and then finding someone to do it cheaper than the cost of a new flexplate ($40?).

It also sounds like he already has a 360 flexplate and wants to use it on a 258, so I don't know if he cares how many you have, you freaking flexplate whore. :tonka:

Edit: I just remembered that you're a V8 manifold whore, also. :sonicjay:

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
No.

Why would you rebalance the assembly when you can rebalance the flexplate itself? The trouble with that is finding someone to do it and then finding someone to do it cheaper than the cost of a new flexplate ($40?).

It also sounds like he already has a 360 flexplate and wants to use it on a 258, so I don't know if he cares how many you have, you freaking flexplate whore. :tonka:

Edit: I just remembered that you're a V8 manifold whore, also. :sonicjay:
pp can i just call u a whore in defnse of him or would that be out of line

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct, sir. I have a 258 (4-speed) in a J-truck, and a TF-727 auto from a Waggy. I was wondering about mating the auto to the 258, but didn't know what my flexplate requirements would be.

I just sold a TF-999 flexplate for dirt cheap (from a 258/TF-999 setup). If I should have kept it, I'll probably kick myself. :tonka:

So, is a flexplate independent of the transmission model, and based more on the motor then? Would I use a flexplate from a 258/TF-999 auto setup with a TF-727 then?

Thanks for the input, guys.
Craig

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
From the AMC V8 point of view the flywheels/ flexplates are motor dependent.

With a flywheel it's a matter of just getting a clutch disc with the right size and number of splines, autos would be more of a torque convertor to flexplate bolt alignment.

And pp, your a ******

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So can I take a flexplate from one 258 motor and use it on a different 258 motor? How are 258s balanced?

Craig

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
258s have neutral balance, IIRC, so the flexplates will swap with each other (and with 4.0, as well)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts