Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jeep in pieces
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my wife is AWESOME and got me my first iPod (120GB Classic in Black). :rock: My question is, after I copy all my CD's to it, where do I go online to get music. Ya, I can pay $.99 per song through iTunes, but is there anywhere cheaper? I was suprised they don't even offer a discount if you purchase an entire album; It is just # of songs on album x $.99. CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Mall Crawler
2,632 Posts
I use iTunes exclusively whenever I want something off the internet. But most of the time I buy CD's just so I can have a hard copy.

You can always try file sharing programs like limewire, but quality isnt guaranteed and you always run the risk of getting a malicious program.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
I've heard that Amazon has a music store now which might be cheaper. I do seem to recall it has no DRM, which is an improvement over iTunes.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Ya, I can pay $.99 per song through iTunes, but is there anywhere cheaper? I was suprised they don't even offer a discount if you purchase an entire album; It is just # of songs on album x $.99. CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!!
Actually, there are a lot of albums on iTunes that have more than 10 songs but still cost a total of $9.99 for the entire album.

Another good feature of the iTunes store is the podcasts... there is lots of free music in there (but there is also a lot of crap) and probably some music for whatever genre you like.

As for less expensive, legal, downloads, I use a service called EMusic.Com. They are a monthly subscription service and have a lot of alternative/independent bands but their inventory is always expanding. One good thing about them is that once you use one of your downloads for a particular song, you can download that song over and over again (to multiple computers for instance) or just log in from another computer and listen to it without downloading it if you want to do it that way.

If you don't mind a little piracy: http://www.thepiratebay.org. I rarely have a problem finding stuff on there.

And of course, if the $0.99 a song is too much for you or if you don't want a subscription service or you still want to get your music legally, just buy used CDs on Amazon or Half.com for like $3.00 and load them on to your iTunes that way.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
my sansa doesn't care what format my songs are in or where i stole them from.:sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
my sansa doesn't care what format my songs are in or where i stole them from.:sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:
The only normal format that iPods don't play is .wmv, and wmv is effing huge and crappy. No reason for anything to be in .wmv format. Itunes and iPods don't care where you got the music from either....

·
Big Block Ranger
2,698 Posts
I have always just downloaded from Itunes, for $.99 you get the best quality music the first time(no breaks, chirps, or otherwise like you get from illegal downloads). And the download time is generally only about 30-45 seconds with DSL.

I like Itunes better than actual albums because if you think about it how many cd's do you own that you spent $10 - $15 on and only like one track? Not to mention you can never scratch the itunes copy :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts