Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ipod Touch thread has got me thinking...

I have a company owned cell phone with AT&T service. I never see a bill-all goes through the company. No data plan. Just a basic phone with a SIM card.

Can I take the SIM card out of my phone and put it in an Iphone? Will I have issues if I don't have a data plan?

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
The Ipod Touch thread has got me thinking...

I have a company owned cell phone with AT&T service. I never see a bill-all goes through the company. No data plan. Just a basic phone with a SIM card.

Can I take the SIM card out of my phone and put it in an Iphone? Will I have issues if I don't have a data plan?
No card goes in and out of the iphone. The only thing that plugs in is the charger/sync cable and or headphones I believe. You have to have a data plan with the Iphone.

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
iphones have sim cards, but you need a data plan to use the iphone.
When i switched to an iphone, they said it required a new sim card......although I am not 100% sure on how accurate that is.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
iphones have sim cards, but you need a data plan to use the iphone.
When i switched to an iphone, they said it required a new sim card......although I am not 100% sure on how accurate that is.
It's accurate - their are certain 3G features that require a newer SIM. I've had to get a few new SIMs in the last few years. My guess would be they had to do something to the SIMs for the voicemail features. Plus they have more storage on them for numbers and other bullshit (which iPhone doesn't really use).

·
Old School
33,047 Posts
The Blackberry uses a different SIM than the standard phones, but it's the same as the iPhone. I think it's because those are the 'smart phones' and use the 3G network.

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The SIM card in my Motorola V190 looks identical to an Iphone SIM card. It even says 3G on it.

I think I may have found a way to make it work. Still researching.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.