Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mommabear's Nag-ivator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Apologies for the ramble... also converted to a link-less state]

Greetings folks... I must say, I've lurked here a good while (usually at the pointings and/or prompting of my "other half," otherwise known as Mommabear). Yes, for those that know me (JDirt et al) or know of me, I'm in California -- so yeah, Mommabear and I tend to rack up a lot of frequent flyer miles. This moniker of mine comes from... well, before the Internet was anything like we see today.

So, I'm not sure how many of you have followed the Hannah saga with Mommabear (and my "step daughter"). Overall, I must say that the community here (or "extended family" at times) has often really impressed and/or touched me -- even more-so when it's related/impacted someone I either know (or know-of) or care for, directly. This sentiment has only been further reinforced with this particular incident.

Anyway, much like Mommabear's previous thread, I wasn't (am not) too sure how to start this or, well... or really anything, at the moment. But I felt I need to post and let folks know that, earlier today as mom and daughter were driving down to DeVos, Mommabear "found" a patch of black ice and ended up in a roll-over-type accident somewhere around Cadillac. The two of them are okay, though obviously a bit shook-up.

The Jeep is currently in an "unknown" state, and has been towed (by Michigan's finest) to an impound yard. I know the rear window popped out to some extent, but I'm guessing that doesn't take a lot with the hard top. From the conversations I can piece together/remember, it sounds like it's smoking, but they came to rest on their side... so I guess that's to be expected.

JDirt has nicely started on the way down to pick them up and trailer the Jeep back to a place where he can help her look at it. Sounds like it'll start with a fluid check and an oil change (it needed one anyway), and probably at least an alignment... we'll see what other sorts of damage they find.

·
Mommabear's Nag-ivator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I just talked to Mommabear (the original post sat in the "approval" queue a bit before clarkstoncracker helped me pull my head out). JDirt has made it down to pick her up and, it sounds like, the Jeep's going to be fine (tough little thing, though she says the snow really cushioned the impact).

The back window popped out just due to air-pressure (or so she says); the "fix" was as much as opening the tailgate and closing the window again. The thing started right up, though it looks like she lost a bit of coolant or something similar.

:woot:

Oh, and apparently the inside of the Jeep has coffee pretty much everywhere... yeah, apparently that new travel mug didn't do a bit of good, did it?

:teehee:

So JDirt's giving them all a lift back to the TVC area where he can take a better look at it and they can see about cleaning it up.

·
Bird is my bitch
1,406 Posts
Glad to hear that they are both ok. With everything else that they have been going through they really didn't need something like this.

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,964 Posts
Someone was looking out for the 2 of them

Sounds like the little one has had a ruff couple of days, but she sounds to be strong

Glad to hear all is well

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
Wow. Glad they are ok. And I'd like to add, that you are one lucky dude. MommaBear isn't very hard on the eyes. :thumb:

·
Mommabear's Nag-ivator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the little one has had a ruff couple of days, but she sounds to be strong
Yeah, that kid redefines "tough" in my opinion (except lately when it comes to her brother torturing her -- though it's anyone's bet if that's really been more evidence of the sugar issue, lately). She's (usually) pretty good about taking almost anything in-stride... seemingly the polar opposite of her brother, in a way. :sonicjay:

Anyway... I'll say again... thanks to everyone here for your unwavering support! Hopefully Mommabear will be back to the cave sometime soon and be able to update you all on her own...

Big thanks to JDirt, too, for going to the rescue! (kinda tough for me from nearly 2k miles away)

·
Mommabear's Nag-ivator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Glad they are ok. And I'd like to add, that you are one lucky dude. MommaBear isn't very hard on the eyes. :thumb:
:sonicjay:

Thanks... I think... ;-)

(No seriously... I really needed to smile/laugh... thanks!)

·
Professional Space Cadet
451 Posts
I am just around the lake from you guys, I have a full size Chev and a trailer if you prefer that to the tow bill too. I probably live 12 minutes away, right near the south end of torch lake. Let me know if I can lend a hand.

·
Mommabear's Nag-ivator
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Again, thanks so much for the outpouring of support, here... I can't tell you folks how much I/we appreciate it -- hopefully Mommabear will be home and settled soon and can speak for herself. At this point, I'm not sure she quite knows about this thread, yet... and getting her ear these last couple of days has been difficult, even for me (not like she has anything else on her mind, eh?).

Anyway, what I know right now...

JDirt got the Jeep back to his house and took a look at it. As mideerslayer said, It sounds like she really got lucky here... they topped off fluids, fixed the back window (re-closed the tailgate in the right order), put the glove box back in (WTF?) and then got her on her way.

She says she has snow packed in to all sorts of weird places (such as the indentation in the tub where the gas filler lives). I'd not be surprised if she at least needs an alignment... her less-than-ideal wear on her tires probably doesn't help, either.

Last I heard, they were headed off to the drug store before they closed up, just to make sure Hannah's taken care of for the weekend... I'd expect them home "any time now." Sounds like she gets to try this trip again on Monday... I don't know what her current plans are for the Jeep, though (as far as "any additional/imminent maintenance").

Again, thank you everyone! We'll keep you posted as things continue to develop...

·
Professional Space Cadet
451 Posts
Mommabear offered to come over and loan me her snow blower when mine was down and we got dumped on with so much snow. If your family needs anything during this time just give me a shout. I would be happy to help out.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Man, do I have a headache. :beer:

First off, thank you everyone. The kindness we have experienced these last few days have had me in tears on a couple of occasions, it has been a tad overwhelming.

First off, we are fine. Secondly, the Jeep is fine. JDirt (dude...I so owe you!) towed us home and topped off fluids and I drove the ol girl home. I was hoping flopping her might stop the squealing in the front end but no such luck. :sonicjay:

I have coffee EVERYWHERE in that Jeep. We landed on my side and I'm sitting..er..hanging there assessing the situation I'm aware of smoke coming out of the top (later determined to be steam from fluids) and the increasing warming feeling coming from my ass. Der...are we on fire? No, that would be the very fresh and quite hot coffee that got dumped on me. :sonicjay:

Hannah is hysterical, I commented to her later that I didn't hear a peep out of her until we flopped and then it was a quiet yelp. We had even done a turkey trot across the highway sideways while I tried to get it under control then hit the bank of snow sideways, causing the flop. If we'd hit it head on, I would have driven out. So...I commented to Hannah about her being very quiet and she says well of course mom, EVERYONE knows you don't distract the driver in situations like that!

Thank you, thank you thank you. Parts discounts, support, offers of towing etc. You all are awesome. No parts needed, she works and we're good to go.

I'm home and I'm having a small drink....and only small because I have to do a sugar test on Hannah at 2am and she's requested that I not wake her up. Doofus kid...but god it's good to hear her laughing again.

Welcome to the board Russ...love you!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts