Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Just a good ole' boy
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've been pondering the thought of running duals on my truck. I know dual straights on a Chevy is very common and i want to know of peoples thoughts and suggestions. As of right now i just have manifolds down to a muffler and a single out, so pretty much stock except for the cat not being there. I want to run duals mainly for the sound but wouldn't mind some performance to. I've noticed that the gas tank is a huge problem and both pipes would probably need to be ran down passenger side, and then split out behind gas tank.

With that said, what are your takes on,

-Placement

-Mufflers or no mufflers (if so, what do u prefer)

-If i should us an 'X' or 'H' pipe or neither

Pictures would be helpful. Im running em' on a 94 regular cab long bed with 5.7

·
Beaver Patrol
779 Posts
get a flowmaster 40 series....they have a good sound to them....get a single in and dual out that way you can use the rear tail pipe you already have just have to get another one added on.......thats my opinion

·
Road Rage is FUN!
39 Posts
Use some type of muffler with it. I have a friend that ran his with no muffler and it is LOUD! He says you can't hear it inside the cab but I don't believe him.

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
straight pipes are cool...for about an hour. trust me you'll get sick of the noise quick. my S-10 has a 350 in it with true duals and flowmaster 40 series right before the axle. it's annoying between 2200 and 2800 rpm as it vibrates the whole truck and makes me have a headache. i'm going to be switching to a 50 series flowmaster and getting tailpipes out the back.

·
Just a good ole' boy
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone have experience on a fullsize chevy? I wanna know the best way to run em. As of right now, im thinking about a 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet flowmaster. Thats about $70, for a flowmaster 40 series. Is the price going to be worth the sound?

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
anyone have experience on a fullsize chevy? I wanna know the best way to run em. As of right now, im thinking about a 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet flowmaster. Thats about $70, for a flowmaster 40 series. Is the price going to be worth the sound?
Yes, its worth it. I run dual 2" pipes out of headers and use flow master 40s to muffle the sound 2.5" pipes out. the sound is awesome.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
x2 on the 3 inch single in, 2.5 inch dual out 40 flowmaster. I run that setup on my 89 GMC 2500, TBI 350. Single 3 inch straight from where the y pipe comes together, no cat, into the flowmaster just before the axle on passenger side. Then dual 2.5 inch pipes from there run out to an angle behind each rear tire with 3 or so inch chrome tips. Sounds badass, quiet at idle, can hear it in the cab just perfect (ECLB), and loud when you feed her the pedal.

·
Just a good ole' boy
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ordered 2 prebent tailpipes from RockAuto, since the one that was on there rusted threw. Now, i just got to order a muffler. Definitely going with Flowmaster, just unsure about either a 40 or a 10 series. A 10 series is a single chamber, so would be louder than a 40, and a 40 is a little more expensive. a 10 series is $60 on ebay, while a 40 series is about $65. Do u think a single chamber will be too loud?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,715 Posts
Yes, its worth it. I run dual 2" pipes out of headers and use flow master 40s to muffle the sound 2.5" pipes out. the sound is awesome.
Plenty worth it, I had that on my old 91 chevy, stock 3" pipe to flowmaster 40 seires (two chamber) with dual 2.5" out, loved the sound, didn't get bad inside the cab, and was pretty cheap as well. I wouldn't go with a single chamber muffler, your running a stock truck, do you really want to be the same as everyother jackoff that cuts of the muffler/cat of their truck and they think they're the shit? I didn't think so lol

That's your best bet, get a single in dual out muffler, running true duals isn't as cool as people say, it's a lot more expensive and you don't really gain anything

·
Big Block Ranger
2,698 Posts
On my RCSB Chevy with the 350 TBI I ran the stock "y" pipe which has a 3" outlet, a section of 3" straight pipe into a parts master(Autovalue house brand) glass pack 3" in/out with a 4-5" body into a OEM style pre-bent tail pipe that exits in the factory location.

It is not overly loud, you can hear it well if you want to, or barely notice it if you drive normally. It sounds rather throaty due the the 3" diameter all the way back, and will really bark if you put the skinny pedal on the floor. Other that the y-pipe, which was expensive I only have about $200 into the rest of the parts.

·
Just a good ole' boy
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my RCSB Chevy with the 350 TBI I ran the stock "y" pipe which has a 3" outlet, a section of 3" straight pipe into a parts master(Autovalue house brand) glass pack 3" in/out with a 4-5" body into a OEM style pre-bent tail pipe that exits in the factory location.

It is not overly loud, you can hear it well if you want to, or barely notice it if you drive normally. It sounds rather throaty due the the 3" diameter all the way back, and will really bark if you put the skinny pedal on the floor. Other that the y-pipe, which was expensive I only have about $200 into the rest of the parts.
yea, i just spent $112 or something on 2 prebent tailpipes, 4 clamps and 2 hangers. And then looking at about $60 for a muffler. So im looking at about $180 or so for the parts. And since im going to hang it myself, that puts me at $180 all together. I think my stock y pipe, dont to 3 inch pipe into a 3"inlet/2.5" dual outlet flowmaster muffler, should sound pretty good. The tailpipes that i ordered end right after they bend over the axle, so ill probably just add a 45 angle on the end, and bend out right behind each tire.

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
What do u have em on?
Im running this set up on my jeep. I have a 350 that is fairly stock under the hood nothing special for a cam yet. I do have msd ignition, k&n extreme air filter, edlebrock intake, holly carb, cheap summit headers and dual pipes all the way back. Even with the stock cam I get a good sound. Im sure the headers help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i had a 74 chevy straight piped with 3 inch dual stacks thats loud and anoying couldnt even hear myself think. It was fun for awhile though

1 - 20 of 52 Posts