Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I have come to the conclusion that my friend has gone mad.
He restored his 1982 CJ5 installed a 3inch body lift and 4 inch suspension. Originally he was runing 32"s now he ordered a set of 37" wrangler MFGs. The jeep could barely fit 32"s with the 3inch body. My dad has owned some pretty huge rigs such as his 73' chevy 1/2 ,350 and 44" ground hogs but this is huge for a little Cj5 , Oh did I mention manual steering, manual brakes and manual tranny hooked to a AMC 360. Wow thats alot to hold onto at once.This is his year round daily driver. I dont mean to rag on my buddies jeep but 35"s would look good and he would have more clearance.
I bet they dont fit!
What do you guys think.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
With trimming, those should fit. A 4" SUA lift isn't going to give him tons of flex on that, anyway.

I had no issue with manual brakes (or manual transmission :miff:) on my CJ5 with 35" boggers on it. Manual steering was tough at times with the front locker, but bearable.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,867 Posts
no power steering! F THAT! when i took my jeep to the mounds for the first time with it all built, threw the power steering belt and had to run the rest of the day with manual steering. My arms HURT!

·
Livin in Cal-tuckey
852 Posts
My `74 CJ5 has 35's on it, and I like it and think that's about as far up as I want to go with that wheel base. I have a 4" lift on it too. As far as the manual steering, there may be a devil in the details on this one. Yes, power steering is great for being out on the rocks and crawling around...but on the pavement as a daily driver...I think that would be scary as hell. Can you imagine if he encounters death wobble cruising down the road at 50mph? I say 50mph because my manual T18 doesn't get much over that going downhill with a tailwind.

I forgot to add: Take pictures and submit it to the "would you wheel it" thread

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
not so sure what is insane about it. sounds legit to me. keep in mind manual steering box's are a different ratio than power steering box's. he might need a little trimming.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
no power steering! F THAT! when i took my jeep to the mounds for the first time with it all built, threw the power steering belt and had to run the rest of the day with manual steering. My arms HURT!
No power steering is NOT the same as manual steering, the ratios are different. Often, the manual steering got a bigger wheel, too. My 75 was a like a big bus steering wheel..

·
Livin in Cal-tuckey
852 Posts
No power steering is NOT the same as manual steering, the ratios are different. Often, the manual steering got a bigger wheel, too. My 75 was a like a big bus steering wheel..
My 74 was modified before I got it...small chrome steering wheel. But I put PS on my POS and yes, I do need to put some turn stops or wheel spacers on my axle now as my tires rub the frame when turning sharp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The steering wheel on my 72' chevy 1/2 ton has like 16" steering wheel and I have powersteering. That CJ5 has like a standard size one. My steering wheel is so big I cant get a cover for it. I will post pics!

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
sounds INSANE
:tonka:

Hey Maxx, I have a CJ power brake booster setup sitting around doing nothing. PM me if Matt is interested in it cheap. I believe I also have V8 power steering brackets, but Jeepers48 also has it right here for really cheap.

This stuff is added fairly easily.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
that is CRAZY

Did you call Ripley's yet?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
not so sure what is insane about it. sounds legit to me. keep in mind manual steering box's are a different ratio than power steering box's. he might need a little trimming.
Damnya beat me to it.
Busyfixin beat you all. :poke:

·
Hack
555 Posts
My dad and I have come to the conclusion that my friend has gone mad.
He restored his 1982 CJ5 installed a 3inch body lift and 4 inch suspension. What do you guys think.

I think you could've stopped right after saying that. I agree he's mad. But then I'm not a huge fan of body lifts over 1". Couple that with a 4" lift on narrow track axles, and large tires? I don't want to even think of what's gonna happen when gramps pulls out of Mickey D's in his Grand Marquis, then decides to stop just as your friend comes up behind him.

But hey...Any given day can be a slow news day. He might just get his 15 minutes of fame.

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
there is a cj5 that runs around Bay City on 40's with a blower on it... he has like 2 inch of fender clearance... its crazy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts