Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
maybe it's a lake that has no route to get to the ocean via a river or such?

I know the great lakes have the St. Lawrence river to connect them to the ocean

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
If lake in question is not Ontario, Erie, Huron, Michigan, Superior, or (grudgingly) St. Clair it's an "inland lake".

Not a common phrase outside this region...

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
If lake in question is not Ontario, Erie, Huron, Michigan, Superior, or (grudgingly) St. Clair it's an "inland lake".

Not a common phrase outside this region...
x3 - St. Clair.

Like I said though, if the Great Lakes didn't exist, all lakes would be considered just lakes, the Great Lakes are the reason for the difference in name.

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, trying to understand, but basically all everyone is telling me is that the great lakes are not inland lakes, but you are not telling me what an inland lake is

maybe it's a lake that has no route to get to the ocean via a river or such?

I know the great lakes have the St. Lawrence river to connect them to the ocean
this is the type of answer i am looking for, but sinse he said 'maybe', i have to belive that its just a guess and cant reley on it, but it does make a lot of sense to me

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
ok, trying to understand, but basically all everyone is telling me is that the great lakes are not inland lakes, but you are not telling me what an inland lake is

this is the type of answer i am looking for, but sinse he said 'maybe', i have to belive that its just a guess and cant reley on it, but it does make a lot of sense to me
it was just a guess.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts

The answers have already told you that. An inland lake is any body of water that is considered a lake that is not a one of the five Great Lakes. It is quite clear.

A lake is a lake. Look up the dictionary definition on that and you have the definition on an "inland lake".

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
From M-W:

Main Entry:
lake
Pronunciation:
\ˈlāk\
Function:
noun
Usage:
often attributive
Etymology:
Middle English, from Old English, Anglo-French, & Latin; Old English lacu stream, pool, from Latin lacus lake, pool, pit & Anglo-French lac pit, from Latin lacus; akin to Old English lagu sea, Greek lakkos pond
Date:
12th century

: a considerable inland body of standing water; also : a pool of other liquid (as lava, oil, or pitch)

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
lakes without ocean access are landlocked. Inland lakes is mainly a term applied to lakes near the ocean but not connected to it. Usually as a means of differentiating between harbors, bays, lagoons, etc... along a coastline. Yes, ALL lakes are inland its merely not pronounced on the deep inland lakes.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
see if you can navigate it via a freighter. if not, it's "inland".

at this point, I'm more curious as to what exact confusion arises out of attempting to define what is, or is not defined as an inland lake, and/or what regulations one is attempting to apply, or subvert...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
so i was having a dicussion today, and would like any of you to clear up some confusion...what is the definition of an 'inland lake' , isnt EVERY lake 'in-land'?
Inland lakes are bodies of water that are not connected to a navigable water passge to a ocean/sea.
Read.. Land locked body of water, no river that a vessel can navigate connecting it to the ocean.:thumb:

·
Something Clever
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lakes without ocean access are landlocked. Inland lakes is mainly a term applied to lakes near the ocean but not connected to it. Usually as a means of differentiating between harbors, bays, lagoons, etc... along a coastline. Yes, ALL lakes are inland its merely not pronounced on the deep inland lakes.
see if you can navigate it via a freighter. if not, it's "inland".

at this point, I'm more curious as to what exact confusion arises out of attempting to define what is, or is not defined as an inland lake, and/or what regulations one is attempting to apply, or subvert...
Inland lakes are bodies of water that are not connected to a navigable water passge to a ocean/sea.
Read.. Land locked body of water, no river that a vessel can navigate connecting it to the ocean.:thumb:
thank you, these help

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
unfortunately you are incorrect. lakes can be inland and at the same time NOT landlocked. Lake Pontchartrain is a classic example. The lake is INLAND of other lakes with access to the ocean.

Also, the Great Lakes are also considered inland lakes. The term "inland" when used in mentioning a lake is to infer its location from another location. Black Lake in northern lower is an inland lake from Lake Huron and is often referred to in this manner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts