Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually gone and done this on here yet? I've been wanting one for a while and with my intermittent issues with the OEM remote connection decaying away, I went and ordered the same kit as is written up here.

Also, FWIW, I found out how to replace the pin sockets in the Warn remote connection when they do rot off. Seeing that I have tons of mollex connectors from pc cases laying about, I just take one pin socket out and use that to replace the rotted one out of the winch.

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
I never use the remote anymore. If you need pics, I'll take some later, but this is in a CJ, not a TJ, so my switches are on a separate panel on the dash.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K, I have a panel coming. My thought is mounting it just to the left of the steering wheel on the lower dash panel.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the Kwan years ago and really didn't want to go with the cruise control switch for it. I like having it separate.

·
8,046 Posts
X2 on everything Shawn said. I don't even know where my plug in control is.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Has anyone actually gone and done this on here yet? I've been wanting one for a while and with my intermittent issues with the OEM remote connection decaying away, I went and ordered the same kit as is written up here.

Also, FWIW, I found out how to replace the pin sockets in the Warn remote connection when they do rot off. Seeing that I have tons of mollex connectors from pc cases laying about, I just take one pin socket out and use that to replace the rotted one out of the winch.
http://www.kwanms.com/

Works great, though I have to replace my clockspring in the column before installing one in my own jeep.

the only downside I see is that it piggy backs off other systems, so it's reliability is dependant on the reliability of the O.E. cruise and column components.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

http://www.kwanms.com/

Works great, though I have to replace my clock spring in the column before installing one in my jeep. (can anyone get the clock spring assemblies for a 98tj w/ cruise cheaper than $100 new? if so PM me!)

the only downside I see is that it piggy backs off other systems, so it's reliability is dependent on the reliability of the O.E. cruise and column components.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
follow this writeup like I did, worked great. Using an extension cord for wiring worked awesome too for keeping it clean.

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/winch/remote/

I mounted the switches to some cheap angled aluminum from the hardware store

(the left is the 3-way toggle for in-stop-out power, and the first one to the right is the power control to keep from accidentaly hitting it, the rest are lights and crap)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts