Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'll Finsh One, One Day
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i drove my truck to work and when i got off and got to my truck i fired it up and drove it for about 1 to 2 mins though the parking lot and pulled up to a stop sign in the parking lot and it idled down then stalled. Tryed firing it back up and nothing. Was getting gas for sure. Messed with the disturbater and nothing. After trying things for about 2 hours in the parking lot i had to leave it and come back today and get it. Tested for spark today and it had no spark. Checked to see if the box had power and it does. Ended up dolleying the truck home with my cousins truck.

So my question is how do i know if my box died on me? How can i check it? When we got home it was making a funny noice so i popped the hood and it was the box that was making the noice. Was it just because the battery was dead or does that mean somthing is wrong with the box. Also the box was warm from just having the key on. Dont really know to much about ignition boxs so any help would be great.
:confused:

It is a sbc 350, with summit box with rev limiter, and summit billet disturbator.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Try removing the Box and just running with the Coil and distributor. I would also recommend the MSD box if you want to run a performance ignition. If your going to be driving this a lot I would just go with a HEI distributor.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Then you have to things two look for.

1. The pick up in the distributor is bad.

2. The box is bad or the wiring for the box is bad.

Not trying to knock the summit box just giving input. We have used the MSD boxes for years on are race cars. The quality and service you get form them is top notch.

·
I'll Finsh One, One Day
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As of right now i havnt really got the chance to pull any thing apart to check but i do think it is the box. Nothing should have broke cuz it is all brand new, but you never know. Probley have the time tomorrow to go though check every thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts